Project updates

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P

I spent the weekend working on my on again off again 64 Ford Custom project.

The engine in it was originally intended for a 63 T Bird I used to own. It's an early 352 bored .110 with a 390 crank and rods, 9:1 compression pistons, 63 T Bird Tri-Power Intake (adapted to some Rochesters built) 1960 factory cast iron headers and a Mallory dual point distributor with a pertonix electronic conversion. The tranny is a C6 from a 68 428 T Bird and it has the factory 9" with 3.50 gears.

I had the machine work done 12 years ago then sold the bird. Then about 7 years ago I assembled it and started hunting for a body to put it in.

So far I'm doing pretty well money wise on the car. The I traded a car I had nothing in for the machine work on the engine, the intake was a X-Mas bonus from where I used to work back before they became desirable and the carbs I have just the price of kits (and several hours in). I got the headers for about 1/2 what they normally go for on E Bay because one had a broken ear. The car itself was another labor trade for the body which had some front end damage, all the sheetmetal to put it together and 79 T Bird front disc brakes which are a bolt on (I'm using the spindles, but bought rebuilt calipers, new rotors, rebuilt master cyl bearing seals etc). Out of pocket right now I figure I'm into it for about $1500, counting the E bay aluminum radiator.

I finally got to hear the engine run yesterday after all thee years and it sounds pretty healthy, runs cool and carries good oil pressure. I'm building this as a 60's style sleeper and trying to keep it period correct looking for around 1969. Don't know for sure about paint yet, I'll either go black primer or maybe a cheap enamel like I used to shoot back then, maybe even put a small touch of flattener in it.

Unfortunately like I said this is an on and off project. It's going back into the storage shed this coming weekend, I really need to put together a new shop truck and only have so much shop space. When it comes back in it will get brakes, and exhaust and probably start to be driven a bit.

The new shop truck will be this 76 Dodge I pulled from a local wrecking yard. I picked it up because it has a factory 440 I got it running and it seems to have either a blown head gasket or cracked head (no big deal). After I got it I did a little research and found out it was one of less than 200 True Spirits produced along with the original 200 Warlocks produced to test market reaction to a factory Hot Rod Truck. I'm not going to leave it completely stock, but not doing anything that can't be easily undone (except maybe a color change).

Attachments

• runnig  401 2.JPG
    runnig 401 2.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 28
  • running 401.JPG
    running 401.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 22
  • left side.JPG
    left side.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 26
Nice Sleeper....

Your '64 will make a nice sleeper with that engine in it.
Keep us updated (more pictures ;) )
The Dodge sounds like it could be a fun project too. '22

Bigboat!

Mike,
Wow... love that '64 Big Boat!!! Those are kool cars & are barely seen on the streets these daze! I love crusin' BIG cars & u gotta love that Ford BB & tri-power setup. I'd love to hear that bad boy fire up!!!

BoB

".... Whats a warlock?....."

The Warlocks, True Spirits and even the later Lil Red Express Trucks were factory custom trucks. In addition to the pinstripping and decals a loophole in the emissions laws allowed them to run on regular gas as they didn't require catalitic convertors.

The Warlocks and as far as I can tell the True Spirits could be ordered with any of the Chryslers production engines from the slant 6 to the 440. THe Lil Red Express Trucks could only be had with a HP 360 (in 1978 the Lil Red Express Truck was the quickest production vehicle fron Detroit even quicker than the Corvette......but it was 78 what can I say).

The Pin Striping on my Truck is also kind of typical of what the Warlocks had.

Attachments

• profile.JPG
    profile.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back