using s-10 rear end with wires

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratterman

I know this has been covered slightly in the past but i just can't find a for sure answer to the correct and SAFE way to do this.

I'm using a rear end from an s-10 in my build but am planning to run my 16 inch ford wires as well. I know i need adapters for the bolt pattern difference but can't find any made to adapt AND support the wire wheels properly. I know I've seen these adapters before but can't find them now. anybody have any ideas?

If you want to be safe it can't be done. Early Ford wires depend on the drum mating surface for their strength - The drum and wheel work together as a unit. Do people do it? Yes, but would I take a 75 year old wheel and put more weight, stress and speed to it than it was ever designed for even when NEW - and then put it on an "adapter"? Absolutely not...

what about the adapters from ralley america I just found

I emailed them asking if that was the purpose of the adapter to safely support the ford wires and the response was yes, that is what they designed them for. What would be the difference of the wheel being bolted to an adapter that is designed to mate up to the wheel just like the original ford brake drums? They also said they are only an inch think.

Yeah I know about them, and that's what I was referring to. They are the only adapter out there designed correctly for early Ford wires, but I'm still not sold. They are a weak link, and I wouldn't want to be driving the way *I* drive on them... :D

I wouldn't want to be driving the way *I* drive on them...

well i don't drive hard or beat on my cars so IF i do end up running them I think I will be fine. What needs to be made is an adapter to run the correct brakes on the newer rear ends. I have a banjo rear from a 41 coupe, maybe i will look into swapping brakes over to the s-10 rear. Of course i have no idea if that is even physically possible since i have never had a set of the banjo rear brakes apart.

The ones from Ralley America will work. Jimmy and Gary are good people to deal with.

Just make sure you check the lug nuts periodicly and you should be ok as long as your not beating the crap out of the car.

adapter

wheel adapters are not a good way to go. i would find different wheels or change my plans so as not to have to use anykind of adaper.

Latest posts

Back