question about 1x1 tubing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratterman

I found a local guy on craigslist selling 1x1x 16th inch wall thickness square tubing for 5 bucks a stick and was wondering if 16th inch wall is strong enough for building the floor structure and bed frame for my cabs channel. I'm going to pick up some for bracing the cab for the chop/channel but will buy more if i can use it for the floor.

I'm thinking i should use at least 1/8 inch but figured I'd ask the experts here.

that's a bit thin for bracing (.060), if it was me I rather use something with the thickness of .090 or greater. 1/8 comes out to .120. If it was moly it would be thick enough

that's a bit thin for bracing (.060), if it was me I rather use something with the thickness of .090 or greater. 1/8 comes out to .120. If it was moly it would be thick enough

Hmmm, to thin for even bracing the cab up, i think I'll just pass on getting any of it then.

It will be fine for bracing up your cab for a chop. You could also use it to build a floor substructure IF you want to do it that way. I would use 1/8 wall for the bed frame though.

One thing though, I notice a lot of people building these elaborate floor substructures out of 1x1 tubing and I'm not sure why. It is certainly overkill, adds extra weight and takes up another inch of room in an interior already pressed for space. Buy yourself a cheap beadroller, learn how to use it and build a floor out of sheetmetal. Not only will it be very strong, it will look MUCH nicer as well. If you cut, fit and properly attach it to the body it will be every bit as good as a stock floor. There isn't any 1x1 framing under it from the factory right? I've done it on a lot of builds and never had any problems. Just something to think about...

IMO..1 x 1 x 1/16 is plenty strong for both bracing and framing the floor. Definately priced right.

I agree i would use it $5 a stick cant beat it if your bracing is done right it should hold up nicely just watch your welds make sure u dont blow threw but in my opinion it will work just take your time set it up right.

thanks for the responses guys, I feel better about using it now but i also like the bead rolling idea. I'll have to look into one of them.

The guy has 42 sticks 68 inches long at 5 bucks each or make an offer. should i buy all of it to have on hand for future projects?

When we hear "sticks" we are thinking 20 ft sticks. ( some are 24)
$1.00 per foot is probably high, (for "drops").
Check with your local metal supply place and find out what it is new price in your area.

Last edited:
yeah i was thinking 20 fts or double randoms,your local steel supply should be less way less.if u wanted to pay same price u could get a thicker wall material as well.

well guys it doesn't matter any more anyways, he sold it all out from under me even after i told him i wanted at least some for sure. called him back to confirm our time and directions and he said a guy just left with it:mad:

oh well, don't sound like it was a deal anyways.

Well he probably did you a favor. Because steel is down right now and that stuff only sells new for 35 cents a foot. We have been paying 45 cents a pound for it from the wholesale supplier.

Latest posts

Back