how to buy a welding helmet?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yone187

I started a class at the local community college and I want to invest in my own helmet but don't know kow much to spend and how not to get ripped off

I sold welding equipment for 20 years. The helmets are available from full manual huntsman helmets to fully automated. What you pay for is what you get. Buy from a reparable welding store and buy a brand name helmet then, life will be wonderful for you.. :D

I have a Jackson Nitro. No batteries to change and has a lot of adjustments in it. I have had it for several years and use it everyday.

I have a Jackson Auto darkening helmet you can have. Come and get it! Call me you have my number.

007-1.jpg

Last edited:
I own a Miller Pro-Hobby used to TIG with. So far it has worked great! I believe I paid about 130 for it. I wanted one of the top of the line Miller Digital Elites, but I just didn't have the money at the time. They run for 315 or so, but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

I would only go with a auto darkening. After using one I would never go back to a flip down. I am with everybody else, try to buy a well known brand and I don't think you can go wrong.

I would only go with a auto darkening. After using one I would never go back to a flip down. I am with everybody else, try to buy a well known brand

Every one is right about buying a brand name like Huntsman or Jackson, but it depends on what type of welding you are going to do, you can get one that is mainly for tig,which is light weight,with good coverage, or you can get one for mig and tig, which is a little bit heavier and has a little more coverage, you can get a auto or one that you flip down by head movement or by hand.

But after 45+ yrs. of welding, I still like the non auto's better, I'll never use a auto - that's just me. Just find a good helmet and the correct shade lens. Of course the manuals are going to cost less than the autos [except for the cheapie autos] - but your eyes are worth the correct protection. It's your choice.

I have a Jackson Nitro. No batteries to change and has a lot of adjustments in it. I have had it for several years and use it everyday.

I have the same one. The headgear is junk but it works well besides that. I had the Hobart 'Hood" and worked really well until it didn't.

Used a made in China one time, and burnt my eyes. Threw it out.

I like the jacson full fixed lenz. lght weight cheep and always ready ,no batterys no bull .i weld for a living and the last one lasted me about 8 years till i dropped it off a the top of a building ,killed it' but it was the best helment i have bought.
the miller auto darks are nice but seen some go bad after a few weeks use.
Be wery of the ones from harber fraight too. only seen one good one out of about 10 used.

I used a cheapo auto darkening mask: if you looked up
at an angle, it would "see" the overhead lights and go dark.
Real awkward. Hated using it.

sweet giving dmw a call here in a moment...
thanks for the tips guys! I will be doing every kind of welding and cutting since i have the schools tools to use mig, tig, oxy plasma... you name it i will be messing with it.

i am too looking for a helmet. My first. i am wanting to get my Christmas list together for the wife for starting a welding class in January. I was looking at the Miller Wicked Digital Elite and the Hobart XVP. This are both very pricy and might just be fluff. I just want the best i can get that isn't just useless features.

Helmet

My friend who is a welder for the county told me to buy a solar powered helmet only if it has a backup battery in it, he had one go dead more than once while welding indoors and had to take it outside to recharge it.

Latest posts

Back