Dip-stick overflow

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Murphy

Just bought this truck, has a Chevy 350 with a 350 trans.
Dip stick is a little to long for the tube (wrong stick, wrong tube?) I cut a inch off the stick so the rubber plug would seal and still can read fluid level.

Tube over flows at high RPM and at cruise, If I suck out enough oil to stop that from happening (10oz) the trans dose not shift properly...:confused: HELP.

I'm a retired BMW mechanic and we never rebuild trans, only replace them...:eek:

It's possible your vent may be plugged up. Vent is at the top of the trans where the bellhousing and trans mate. Some 350s it's just a hole and some have a small plastic tube. I have problems with "Mud dobbers" packing stuff in my vents when the trans sits around for awhile.

It's possible your vent may be plugged up. Vent is at the top of the trans where the bellhousing and trans mate. Some 350s it's just a hole and some have a small plastic tube. I have problems with "Mud dobbers" packing stuff in my vents when the trans sits around for awhile.

agrred , had one do the same thing, took a tooth pick cleaned it out, ! BAM fixed!:D

vent

Just remover the trans hump from the floor to expose the trans, removed the nylon vent tube to inspect, it was clear, stuck a icepick in the trans vent hole, it was clear.
Only thing out of the ordinary was a loos fit of the vacuum hose on the solenoid right side of trans.

Being that you have the wrong dip stick and or tube. The trans is probably overfilled and pushing the fluid out as it expands.

Get the right dip stick and tube from a bone yard. TH350's are just about everywhere for short money.

If the Modulator [you called it a solenoid] is on the right side of the trans you probably have a turbo 400. Be sure to get the correct dip stick and tube.
Need to clarify...t 400 mod is on right front and t 350 mod is on right rear of the tranny.

Damn, Too bad... Cause the older blazers and s10's had a problem just like yours only on the 4 wheel drive models. The seal between the tranny and the transfer case would go bad (its a double sided seal) and the fluid would run into the transfer case and when the system got heated up it would push the fluid from the tc thru the tranny and up the fill tube.

Latest posts

Back