Wishbones

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatgreyG

Do they make a bracket to run the old wishbone and transverse spring on a new rearend? The top half is welded to the old banjo rear end and I plan to run the original set up just swap rear ends.

I went to a car show here in town last night and found a guy right up the road that fabs all kind of brackets. Thanks for help and I have added eztbucket to fav list. May need other parts.

You can do it, but don't really want to. The rear radius rods that came stock on early Fords weren't really radius rods per se, they are simply locators. The main support in a stock Ford was the big torque tube that runs down the center and encloses the driveshaft. The locators simply keep the ends from putting additional strain on that torque tube.

Many people have used those locators as radius rods and many have snapped in half or bent. They are simply waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too weak to use as the sole means of support to act as radius rods. Take a good look at them, they are extremely flimsy and flexible.

I normally wouldn't post a link to another forum on here, but if it saves one car or one life then that will justify it..........here, read these tales:

www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224871

www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184446&highlight=rear+radius+rod+broke

There are tons of stories just like those. Here is what it looks like when they snap........and they do it with zero warning.

bones.jpg

So PLEASE do not use them. The rear end on an open driveline car needs lots of support and there are enough good radius rod kits out there to do it the correct way. Why jeapordize you and your passengers just for a cool look?

Don

You can do it, but don't really want to. The rear radius rods that came stock on early Fords weren't really radius rods per se, they are simply locators. The main support in a stock Ford was the big torque tube that runs down the center and encloses the driveshaft. The locators simply keep the ends from putting additional strain on that torque tube.

Many people have used those locators as radius rods and many have snapped in half or bent. They are simply waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too weak to use as the sole means of support to act as radius rods. Take a good look at them, they are extremely flimsy and flexible.

I normally wouldn't post a link to another forum on here, but if it saves one car or one life then that will justify it..........here, read these tales:

www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224871

www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184446&highlight=rear+radius+rod+broke

There are tons of stories just like those. Here is what it looks like when they snap........and they do it with zero warning.

bones.jpg

So PLEASE do not use them. The rear end on an open driveline car needs lots of support and there are enough good radius rod kits out there to do it the correct way. Why jeapordize you and your passengers just for a cool look?

Don

Don,

Thanks for all the info. I will be purchasing some radious rods. This is another reason I love this site.

Parallel "radius rods" work the same as parallel Ladder Bars.
They create a bind, since they limit body roll.

Eventually, something will break.

Take a look at the rear radius rods for Socal Speedshop.
ladderbar.jpg

Moving the front mounting points together,
allows the axle to roll, similar to stock.
http://www.est1946.com/ladderbarsandhardware.aspx

Parallel radius rods, work on an I-beam front axle, because the axle can twist.

Latest posts

Back