goin to get a free hummer tonight...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly4008

Thats rights, a free Harley Davidson Hummer. (what did you perverts think i was talking about?)

I mentioned it before in the BS thread. I didnt want to pressure the guy, so i waited a few weeks. I was actually going to call him this afternoon and ask him what it would take for me to get it out of there. Instead he called the shop while i was playing "Go-pher". So i called him back as soon as i got back to the shop. He refused all my offers for the bike, he just wants me to take it and do something with it.

Now that i think of it.....he owes me one. He let me get married. Infact, he is the Justice of the Peace that performed the ceremony.

well i got home sooner than i expected. Here is the bike. Not much there....sounds familiar. Good news is that it rolls real well, and the rear brake still works. So i can take it up a hill and ride it down.

He even gave me the owners manual.

Attachments

• 100_1318.jpg
    100_1318.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_1321.jpg
    100_1321.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_1322.jpg
    100_1322.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_1323.jpg
    100_1323.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 41
What exactly is a hummer? Was it a 1-cylinder bike? How old?

Looks cool though, what kind of motor are you thinking for it?

The H-D Hummer first came out in 1955. Thats what this one is. It was Harley's "economy" bike boasting 100mpg and costing $17 a month to finance.

It came with a 125cc engine. It was Harley's attempt to compete with the imports. I guess you could call it Harley Davidson's version of a moped.

Its based off of a fullsize frame though. So i can put in any engine i get my hands on.

Hey that thing looks like it has a model airplane motor on it,sure is small...Do you think with a little help from a shoe-horn you could get a 350 in it. Kicking would be a little rough.

I've seen one of those at the mall , coin operated...25 cent for 45 seconds...

Good Luck with it...It'll be a nice project.

welll i'm impressed---and puzzled
impressed b/c it looks to be a fun project and the e-bay bike really looks good

puzzled b/c you said 55 was first year and the e-bay bike says its a 48!!

so help out a dummy like me.......and 'splain:eek::D

The first real Harley Hummer was sold in '55. The name "hummer" turned into some what of a nickname for the bikes of that era. Kinda like "Divco" wheels, or "windex" instead of glass cleaner.

After WWII the allies got the plans for this bike from the Germans. These are pretty much knock off of the German military motorbikes.

The bike got the name "Hummer" after a man named Hummer came up with a new "economical" design to compete with the cheap import bikes. Harley Davidson advertised this bike boasting 100mpg, and costing $17 a month to finance.

Heres the full history:
http://www.harleyhummerclub.org/history/index.html

The term "Harley Hummer", loosely refers to all antique, Harley Davidson, American made, 2 cycle , vintage, lightweight motorcycles produced between 1948 and 1966 at the Milwaukee, Wisconsin factory. However, technically speaking , the true "Harley Hummer" was only produced from 1955 until 1959, and it was a very basic, stripped down, no frills, 125cc motorcycle.

It all began in 1948, when Harley-Davidson released the "Model 125" , a small , sturdy , light weight , two-stroke motorcycle, of 125 cc displacement. The Model 125's design, was actually a result of the German motorcycle manufacturer DKW , whose engineering designs were forfeited to the allies, as a result of World War 2 reparations , at the conclusion of World War II. Other manufactures also benefited from DKW's slightly altered designs, including BSA, with their Bantam model, and Yamaha with their YS-1. Today, the term "Hummer", also seems to incorrectly include the Harley Scat, Harley Pacer, Harley Ranger, Harley Super 10, Harley 125 , and Harley 165, although the two stoke Harley Topper is excluded, as is the Humvee Hummer H3 !

They made a Harley Davidson H3? WOW, Harley slaps there name on all sorts of junk now dont they.

Merchandising
-Mel Brooks(Space Balls)

They made a Harley Davidson H3? WOW, Harley slaps there name on all sorts of junk now dont they.

Yep... I got a HD F-150 when they came out with the crew cab version... I loved that truck!!! It looked good, sounded good & had a fab interior but that sucker drank the petrol & of course they came out with the supercharged version the next year!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Hey 4008 - If I were you, I would try to find either the 125 c.c. or the 165 c.c. to put in it and restore it to all H.D. Those old "Hummer" rigid frames are hard to come by, and the one you have looks to be all there and stock. It would be a shame to hack one up to put in some other engine than a stock one. Check out The Jockey Journal or some other bike forums first.

Yep... I got a HD F-150 when they came out with the crew cab version... I loved that truck!!! It looked good, sounded good & had a fab interior but that sucker drank the petrol & of course they came out with the supercharged version the next year!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

2002, 2003 and 2007 were the supercharged ones. I have a 2003. The factory rated them at 390 HP. but they were 20 hp more. The factory claims they did 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds. We did some work to it and got it up to 450 hp. I know I can walk away from a mustang GT like its setting still. Can't weight to take it down the track. It was in the high 12 before we worked on it. I posted it in what else do you drive.

As for MPG. 12 if you keep your foot out of it and 10 if you play.

At for the hummer I have one of those motor setting on the floor in my shop. The piston is stuck and I been trying to get it loose. I what to put it in a small chopper for something different.

i went to JJ and got flamed. Seems nobody likes the hummers over there. I guess im just not cool enough to play with them guys. Kinda like posting a newbie question on the HAMB.

Hot40rod..........whats it gonna take to get that motor out of your shop and into mine?

Latest posts

Back