Fe questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joukaishou813924

what tranny do you guys use behind us FE's?
i wanna use a A4OD, but dont know what bellhousing will be required for the 390 block?

well i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but fords don't give you alot of options.....the FE fords used a bell-pattern all their own....they were coupled to standard 3 and 4 speeds or on automatics most were a C-6 (the big ford auto) there were older versions of auto but c-6 most common
there were no factory auto-od trans with this bell housing.....

perhaps somebody makes an adapter, but i'm not familiar with it if they do
another alternative to get an od is a unit that goes behind your reg trans

hope i didn't bum ya out too bad!
HRP

I think some of the better performance trans companies offer the AOD with a FE bolt pattern. I don't think it was a factory fit, so expect an adaptor ring.
Don't waste your time with TCI or GER. You can also probably find a C-5 which is a C-4 with a lock-up torque convertor.

railroad

Yep, as far as I remember, it's using a Gear Venders OD or a Tremec with an adapter. Neither option is on the cheap side.

I guess i'll just go for the c6 or manny tranny, o well, looks like i'll just need some nice gears in the rear end to make up the differance. I'd like to be able to drive my lincoln around, and actually not be afraid of highways......

well the good news is ALOT of ford 9" rears have hi-way gears from factory..
almost every one can find 2.75, 3.00 or 3.25 gears easier than say 4.10....
(if your runnin a 9......alot of others are highr sped until o.d. days)

......never was a c-4/c-5 behind a FE to my knowledge....

You may be right, but I was thinking a cruise o matic and C-4 and FMX are the same for bolting up the early C-4 bell housing. The FE started in about 1958 with a Ford o matic and the cruise o matic available. I know P A trans
offers it for a FE (428), but is not something you would scrounge out of a junk yard.

good luck,
railroad

their are a few diffrent bellhousings I had one that would take a dodge NV-4500 all stock I do not remember how or which one to use why not a t18 with overdrive and a grany first gear? cheep and pretty strong....

Latest posts

Back