3 sp manual tranny fluid

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom cabby

I have called everyone in town and no one can tell me what fluid to top off my 3 sp manual Ford transmission. Its backing a 360 FE from '68. Any help out there?

I have one in my 27, a toploader 3 speed from a 67 Galaxy, and I always ran 80-90 gear lube in it. Ran that way for 7 years so I guess it was right.

Don

It's also a good idea to drain the old lube and and completely refill with fresh gear lube. Even your cars rear end would like fresh lube now and then. Seems to make em last longer!!:D[cl

Drain plug should be on the very bottom of the trans case. Some of the early stick transmissions didn't have a drain plug but you could remove a bottom bolt from the tail housing and drain it that way. Refill up to the level of the fill plug hole or til it begins to drip out of the fill hole.
The 68 Ford rear may not have a drain plug. If not, changing the oil is a large problem.:(

You may want to go a little lighter on the oil being in Ohio 80 90 sometimes makes shifting a little stiff in cold weather, probably not a problem for Don.

Latest posts

Back