poppes out of 3rd

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rust Rod

i have a 3 on-the-tree in my 53 chevy 210 4dr. the motor is a 235 inline 6.
at low rpms it will pop out of 3rd, it dosnt just pop out at low rpms it grinds out. or if i coast on the free way it will gently slide out of 3rd also.
what could this be?
how do i fix it?

In the 70s--(only 40 years ago) so this is pretty fuzzy-- I took abart a tranny that was doing that and it was a detent ball stuck in a shift shaft, or maybe the slot the ball was supozed to grab was worn too smooth? that mighta been a PU tranny.?

The fix was pretty simple-- I believe I turned the shaft over and ground a new detent slot and put in a new detent ball bearing and detent spring...

I believe I changed some syncro brass ring out of a newer Chevy standard that was grinding when shifting and was also popping out. That was spendy as 1/2 of the syncro was on the gear --so had to buy a gear.. It worked though..

I guess the deal is just jump in and do some head scratching..

Its all fun.

PA41

dad had a ford w/ granny 4 that popped out of 3rd or 4th (my memory is fuzzy too) i do remember helping, as a kid pull the trans out twice to fix it--it was the synchronizer--a pricey piece when he bought it even back 25 yrs ago....

hope that was at least a little help....:eek:

let us know whatya find out....

Hey Rust Rod
I had 54 Chevy that did that. It was the shift fork for second-third. Very worn. All Chevy three speeds are the same...........junkyard! Should be cheap.

Shakey

My '51 Chev truck did the same so I switched over to a 4-speed. 1st gear was a granny so I always took off in 2nd. Never had that prob again!!!

BoB

thanks guys im going to try to fix it or get it to work for now, but ya i do eventually plan on switchin over to a 350 W/4 speed and 9"rear. but im going to do that when i bag it so it might be a while lol.

I did know a guy that had the problem in High in an old truck and he cut a 1"X4" with a notch and jammed it on the shifter to hold it in.. :)

Whatever works..

PA41

Latest posts

Back