Finding water leaks

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewski

I know that a lot of you might know this, but I thought I would throw it in anyway. If you have a water leak around you windows in your car that you can't seem to find, take your air hose and direct a high pressure blast of air around the inside of your window and have someone outside your car spray soapy water around the glass. It usually shows up really fast. We did this in the auto industry when a new car came out of the shower test with a leak. A lot of times it would be a very small sealer gap that would be very hard to detect visually. Some of the leaks didn't even occur at the glass, it would be located where you wouldn't even think to look, like down in the cowl area.

It beats sticking your head under the dash, while someone sprays water outside the car.

Drewski

Found that to be the best way to find a leak. I've been doing autoglass since 1985 and been using that method for years. Found that a leak isn't always at a window but quite often a body seam or a worn weatherstrip.

Leaks

True...

Door seals are a common source for water leaks.

Close the door on a dollar bill in several locations and pull on it to look for low/no tension areas, I was a BMW tech so we used 100 dollar bills...:p

i have had success with the car running windows up heat on full fan high heat,shut doors and spray all gasket and window seams with soapy water and will bubble where leak is learned this from a 15 year dodge tech.hope it helps someone

In my shop we (spray) talcum powder around the window or door opening etc and close it up. Then spray water with a hose. Let it set for a few minutes to get rid of the excess water. Open the door or window in question and there will be a water line cut through the talcum. Shows you exactly where the water is coming in....[cl

Latest posts

Back