Pontiac Trans

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

Ok guys lets see if somone here can steer me in the right direction. I have a 1963 389 w/ the factory 2 speed trans, it has the starter in the bell housing (pre 65) Can I use a chevy power glide if the bell housing is changed..or will the chevy bell housing bolt to p to it. I know GM used starter in bell housings up to 1968 or so. I am looking for some options since I have a rebuilt power glide now. I did get the motor running but, smoke was pouring out of the bell housing, not sure WTF is going on in there. The trans is probably smoked.....any ideas????????????????

Thanks Curt:confused:

The Chevy powerglide won't bolt up to the 63 Pontiac 389. I think you're going to be limited to the Pontiac transmisions designed for the early 389s because of the starter mounting. They did have 3 speed and 2 speeds tranys in those years so you have two choices, if you can find one in good condition. Good luck!

Before you toss out the old transmission be sure that is what is smoking. It would be bad to replace it and find out it was something else back there causing that problem.

To answer your question, in 64 Pontiac changed their bolt pattern to the now familiar Buick-Olds-Pontiac BOP pattern. Between 61 and 63 the pattern was different and the starter was bellhousing mounted. I used to play with Pontiacs and went through a nightmare building a 63 Bonneville with a 389..........I converted it to stick and found it VERY hard to find parts because they made something like 3 Bonnevilles with a stick setup back then, most were automatic.

Anyway, the only way I know that you can adapt a later, more modern transmission is with an engine adapter setup. A really nice one is made by Wilcap and sells for about $ 550.00. Take my advice........SHELL OUT THE MONEY AND BUY IT! The initial outlay may seem high, but it will make your life so much easier as it is a bolt in deal. I went through the same process and finally laid out $ 1000 to buy one from Bendtsens to bolt my 394 Olds to a TH350 but I am so happy I did it. The kit is perfect and well built, and I'm sure the Wilcap kit is similarly well made.

Here is the info on that kit: www.wilcap.com/pontiac.html#389350 As you can see, it is very complete and allows you to use the Mopar starter that bolts to the bellhousing.

Don

Thanks guys, I could also drill the cast boss on the block like 65 and later. Don, I have to hand it to you, your right! I think what happen was that a rat got a nest going between the converter and trans pump, and you know they pee and crap on everything. I noticed when I was cleaning up that there was rat crap and nut shells everywhere. I looked at it and said WTF! I also seen some little brown pieces, upon a closer look it was a piece of burnt rubber, probably the seal. It had never leaked before,but this morning before I left for work I noticed I have a lake of DEXTRON under it now.

CURT[cl

Well, that is very appropriate..............after all, this IS a RAT ROD forum! :D:D

Rats are very strange animals, they love to eat rubber and parts like that. It will be interesting to see what you find when you pull the transmission out. :D

Don

Yo BK--I think the 'fix what ya got' route is a great idea. While you have the tranny out pull the pan and check for sludge and crunchies. If theres much to speak of, or a burnt smell, the guts of the Chevy PG you have will very likely fit in the old Poncho housing. Study up on it and see.

The PG is absolutly the easiest, simplest auto tranny made. Get yourself a haynes or print some pages offa the net and study up and rebuild the one you've got. The experience will make ya feel like a transmission pro.

I used them circle tracking and removed the convertor and ran the low band as a clutch operated by a pressure dump valve. Took about 30 lbs off the crank! Talk about Throttle response! It burned the main band real regular though, so I got to know the tranny very well. Ahh--good times!!!.

PA41

Yeah--it oughta just pull off--must be stuck a little. Maybe --Hammer Time!!??

Twist and wiggle and pull..

PA41

Well I finally had to take it to a trans shop, it tookem 2 days to finally get it seperated. Turns out the inside of the convertor has a grove in it and some how locked up. Any way to make a long story short, it tore out the inside of the bellhousing and pump. I went and bought a adapter for a chevy trans and I am going to use the rebuild power glide I already have. Thanks guys for your help.

Curt

Latest posts

Back