3 speed shifter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You probably answered your own question. My guess is it's cheap Chinese junk that might break off in your hand after about 3 months. Could be wrong - some of that stuff will last.

see, i thought about that, and figured if it did, id weld an extention on it and have a custom setup. what is really concerning me is the linkage set up. if its horrible, than its a waste of the $40

I got a Mr Gasket shifter in the A and its gonna work ok. Comes with the bracket that bolts to trans & is about the same price. Had one in my racecar too and it took alot of abuse and never failed me.

I think the spectre stuff is a cheaper chinese line, they make those stainless hose kits and stuff. Did you ever look at the dual arm shifters that they use in circle track racing on the 3 speed saginaws? realy cool looking, i am fabing my own but they sell for about $40 ,very simple design.

Cheap shifters are a pain in the butt. We put a Sparkomatic in a Hornet my Kid drove while we were building his Olds years ago and it would jam between 1st and 2nd even if you shifted easy sometimes. You had to get under and unlock it with your hands. Never knew when it would do that.

I have a Hurst Syncrolock in my 27 and powershifted it many times and it is going back in the car now that I am rebuilding it. My advice is to spend a few bucks more and it will outlast you (mine is now over 20 years old)

Don

27shifteranddriveshaftin003.jpg

Hadn't priced shifters in like forever, wow Hurst has really gone up.. But the Mr. Gasket is about 100 bones, we used they're 4 sp unit in a 68 satelite sebring years ago and were quite pleased with it, I don't think you can go wrong for the dough. I did see that spectre on sale on some obscure site for like 20.00. If anyone is making a profit on that thing at that price it must be total crap. I'd guess it'll be a cast aluminum bracket that bolts on the tranny and probably loosens up on a fairly regular basis and as mentioned probably will find it self jammed up at the most inopportune moment. (Just like the old cheapo kits we used to get at like pep boys or Grand Auto back in the day.)

Regards,

Rev. D.

Yep, they can only build in so much quality and fit for that little amount of money. What the Sparkomatic would do is the arm would be half way out of first and the locating pin that grabs second would jam in between the two arms. After Don got his Olds running I took over the Hornet as a daily driver and many times I would have to get out and climb under to unstick the shifter. We were low on money then so it never occurred to me to buy a better one.

Don

Latest posts

Back