th400... problem from 1st to 2nd

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't, but from first to second gear it sound like it's kinda shaking or rattling from 1st to 2nd gear. I pulled the pan off tonight (never done any work on a tranny before) and everything looks okay but not sure what I'm looking for. I was told to look for brass shavings and don't see anything there. There was a little gray slime in the bottom of the pan but read that that was normal.

I bought a new filter and gasket (old gasket seemed to be leaking), but was wondering if there is anything else I can look for while the pan is down before I put the new filter and gasket on. Took some pics but again don't know what I'm looking for.

1-7.jpg

3-6.jpg

4-4.jpg

5-2.jpg

after replacing your filter and gasket , remove the vacume line from the modulator , useing a pocket screw driver turn the adjustment screw in one turn and road test , if it is better try one more turn. This increases the modulated line pressure which is sesitive to throttle opening , hopefuly this will help your problem

if i remember right you only turn it 1/4 turn either way. in to make it shift faster out for slower. i know it sounds funny but what it is for is tuning the shift points for your trans when using shift kits. not all of then have the adjustment ether.

odie

counter clock wise to lower the pressure clockwise to increase the pressure, the govenor ultimately controls the shift points , this will increase line pressure according to throttle opening through the use of vacume . The further the throttle is opened the lower the vacume therefor higher line pressure is needed to hold the clutch packs tighter . you are only changing the static setting around 10 psi or so . This may be enough to help your situation ? It is not a magic cure for all that ails , but it may help . Good luck on your situation -- Greg

So I checked the tranny mount and it seems the nut had slipped down a few threads and stripped a few out. It wasn't completely loose but definitely needed to be tightened. I ran a die over them and got a nut nice and tight now. This may have been the problem. I got the new filter and gasket back on. I checked the governor and it seems to be good. I want to do a test drive before I check the modulator... or should I check the modulator while I have it jacked up?

Hopefully this fixed it... we'll see. I'll let ya know and I appreciate the help. It's nice to start learning something about transmissions.

So the tranny mount didn't fix the problem... although I'm glad I fixed it.

The real problem was a lack of research done by this newbie. When I was hooking up the vacuum line my father-in-law just said to take a piece of steel line and put a piece of rubber hose on each end. What he didn't tell me was how long the steel piece needed to be. I did some more research and found that you should run no more than about 3" of rubber hose on each end. I had way longer pieces and had just used what I had in the garage at the time. One end was too thin wall hose and was collapsing when I punched it a little. I got a nice long piece of steel line now and shorter rubber hoses and this seemed to fix the problem (only did one test run so far).

I'm going to drive it around a bit and see if it starts acting up again.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I knew nothing about transmissions before this and now feel like I can do any routine maintenance now (on at least my transmission).[cl

Latest posts

Back