wire brand

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

34rat

Does this matter? I bought some .035 copper coated wire from harbor frieght, are my welds going to come out crappy?

I have never used that particular wire so I have no comment on it but have found there can be a big difference in wires. The better wires will give you much less problems with feeding and sticking in the tip and less splatter.
Jeremy

Does this matter? I bought some .035 copper coated wire from harbor frieght, are my welds going to come out crappy?

My friend got a spool of mild steel MIG wire from Harbor Freight and it's pretty decent; the welds were fine. Much to my surprise, the worst welding wire I've used has come from Ace Hardware.

I buy all of my MIG and TIG consumables online from HTP, unless it's a last minute thing or shielding gas, for which I go to the local welding store. They have the best prices and I feel like they have the best quality as well. Check them out: http://www.usaweld.com/

I have found that Lincoln wire works better than anything else. Runs smoother and feeds well, but not enough better to justify the additional cost.

so if I have a 11lb. spool I can go ahead and use it. It sounds like the actual weld with the cheap wire will be fine its just the matter if it comes of the spool smooth or not and doesnt keep getting stuck in the tip?

.035 is some heavy wire. Fine for frames and heavy duty welding, but it will not like sheetmetal very well. If you are going to weld any thinner stuff go with something like an .023

Well I decided to save that wire and gas and I welded my frame with flux core it does not look as good but its stronger, plus when I put the cab and bed on you will never see it.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Yeah I kinda figured so I am going to put another piece of 2x3 vertically in the front that would make it twice as wide.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back