Trans

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordV8

Is a transmission out of a 1988 ford bronco a C6,E4OD,or E4ODE? I am planning on using the 302 motor on my rat rod project but I am not sure about the trans. I was told a E4ODE wouldnt work with out a computer since I am converting the motor to carbureated.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be an AOD of some kind which means it will have a module. It won't be a C6 unless it has a 351, even then it may be an AOD.

I'm not sure if the module is integrated with the rest of the ford EFI system though. It may have it's own standalone module, so you would just need to make sure you transplant that. I've heard of hotrodders using the AOD so it's probably not super hard.

Some of the ford experts can probably fill in the blanks....

I do not think it is an E4OD, too old. I had a friend with a Bronco about that year with a 302 and his was a C-6. The AOD is a stand alone trans, no module. The AODE uses the computer, I doubt you have this trans either.
The AOD with have a TV cable. As you mash the gas peddle the cable increases hyd pressure level in the trans. If you have an AOD, it will last about 1 day without the TV cable properly hooked up and adjusted.

the e-4 od has a push-button od over-ride on the dash or shifter....and yep its an electronic trans w/plugs comin out of it
the aod does not use a computer, but the cable/pressure linkage IS touchy

and a bronco trans will have to have a tailshaft/housing change goin from 4 wd to a 2 wd--unless yer buildin a 4 wd rat;)

Latest posts

Back