hass anybody used a?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerchooper

i got a top loader truck tranny from a 85 1 ton chevy sitting in the corner of the garage. i know creaper was useless in the truck. but that big old stick scraping the roof would be cool.

what are your thoughts?

I had a 4 speed with the bull low in a 77 GMC half ton stepside. Gobs of torque in first, only used it when towing the stockcar and all the gear. You can always go with the tallest rearend gears possible and end up with an overdrive. For reference, it had a 3.07 rear ratio from the factory and a 350 4 barrel.

i used to own a 81 chevy truck with the 3 speed w/ creaper. i used to be able to take
2nd gear (not counting creaper) to 85 mph. 3rd was useless as well come to think of it lol .

top loader with a highway gear ratio might be the ticket.

auto would be easy though

I have Ford with a granny low 4sp. Same idea, maybe little different ratios is all. 3:50 9" rear and 235/75/R15 tires. As it is now, 1st is a little to quick to shift and 2nd is a little luggish to start in. I think 3:25 rear gears would just about do it. Gonna put bigger rears on it someday, that may do too.

Had one in my 72 chevy. That 307 would scream in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Use it if thats all you got. But I would prefer a true 4 speed or even a saginaw 3 speed.

i used a granny low 4 speed in my old 46, with 2.79 gear ratio, with 31 tire! 1800 rpm at about 65! with a flathead v8

Attachments

• DSC00485.JPG
    DSC00485.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 10
It is probably an SM465 4spd. the first gear ratio is a 6.12:1 and it is a non-syncro. all of the other 3 gears are syncro'ed so other than being a big heavy pig and hard to shift into 1st, they are a bullet proof trans. And if you really want to you can put a PTO on it although for what I don't know. :D

Latest posts

Back