welding problems

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

34rat

Hey guys if anyone has any tips or suggestions please let me know. I have a lincoln 175 hd 220v and I dont know what I am doing wrong, I tried .035 wire and .030 with 75 25 mix gas set at about 21-24 cfh, I have tried holding my gun 20 to 45 deg. different settings, wire speed, push, pull, fast, slow and it just looks like a almost smooth weld. I made sure the polarity was corect. Is it possible something is wrong with my welder?

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 114
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 98
Is the welder running smooth as you weld, or does it sound like popping and stalling?

Is this all of a sudden, and did you make any changes to the machine, like wire, or gas?

There are tons of varables, like bad gas, bad wire, bad ground.

Lets go back to basics and set your machine to one of the settings shown on the inside door of the welder. Make sure you have gas by putting your ear to the nozzle, (pointed away from you). Lets also open the door and run some wire, just to make sure the spool turns evenly. Also try less tension on the feed roller. If the wire is dragging, it will mess things up too.
Report back as soon as you can. and Good luck.

Is the welder running smooth as you weld, or does it sound like popping and stalling?

Is this all of a sudden, and did you make any changes to the machine, like wire, or gas?

There are tons of varables, like bad gas, bad wire, bad ground.

Lets go back to basics and set your machine to one of the settings shown on the inside door of the welder. Make sure you have gas by putting your ear to the nozzle, (pointed away from you). Lets also open the door and run some wire, just to make sure the spool turns evenly. Also try less tension on the feed roller. If the wire is dragging, it will mess things up too.
Report back as soon as you can. and Good luck.

It runs smooth it sounds like bacon on the griddle, and I bought the machine with flux core in it and used it some and then bought some solid wire,mix gas and I did change the polarity, everything is in working condition.

Try setting that gas flow down to 15-17 cfm at the regulator. I have a Lincoln 180, 220 volt setup here at the house, and run it right at 16 cfm for 1/4 inch work. Buzzes along like butter. .030 wire too.

also, as stated, make sure you have the right tip for the wire size, that can screw you up every time.

Let us know the results...

to me it looks like you are traveling to fast you need to find you a happy medium. your first weld don't look to bad have you tried a weave?

Are you pushing or pulling the weld ? Slow your travel speed down till your bead gets rid of the V in the bead and looks more like cresent moons - keep an eye out for the color of the silica rising to the top of the weld - a light creme to a light brown shows good heat range - a dark,burnt looking silica shows to much heat.

Yep what they said!!!!

AS I was reading your post I got to thinking of some options for you to fix your problem, then I started reading everyone else's input and they gave you the same info I would have!!!! LOL

So has anyof this information solved your issues??

Hey thanks guy's I seem to be doing a bit better but I still need to slow down a bit, I will try to get some new pics

Try this

If you are welding body metal try going to a .023 wire with a 75/25 gas mix.Making sure your "whip" isn't kinked or twisted.Check your liner for bends and kinks as well.Also check your difusser because they can get clogged very easy,and lastly check and make sureyou have the correct tip.Good luck. [cl

just a heads up, never use brake cleaner on parts you are going to weld, one drop of brake cleaner with heat and your gas will kill you or will destory your life for ever, always read the can before using cleaners and welding, Stacey David did a TV show on this, got me reading everything I use
sorry I didn't see this was posted already, my bad

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back