Shifter cable donors???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
I need to come up with a shifter cable I can use. Column shift and a TH350. The rest seems like an easy fab job, but figuring out where to come up with a useable cable has got me stuck right now. It'll have to be probably at least 4' long. Any ideas what I could harvest parts off of?

You'll have trouble finding a OEM cable that long. Prolly have to go to after market cables like B$M or Hurst...they won't be cheap but maybe a good used one off [pardon my french] ebay!!!

Thanks Fuzz. Didn't know what would be out there even. I can probably get away with 3' or even less possibly. I think Speedway sells a kit for a column, but I'd rather make it.

Wish I knew where any 70's cars were anymore. All our yards around here usually scrap anything 15 yrs old. :mad:

Could you fabricated a bicycle brake cable to work? Some would probably be 3-4 foot long running from the handle bars to the rear brakes.

I'm not familiar with late model stuff but most of the 70s cars used soild rods for column shift. Most of the floor shift cables were like 12 to maybe 18 inches. Good luck..:)

Could you fabricated a bicycle brake cable to work? Some would probably be 3-4 foot long running from the handle bars to the rear brakes.

The cable also has to push as well as pull. I don't think bike cables wouldn't be heavy enough.

I might be able to use 2 cables....hmmmm...

Shifter cable

You need a push / pull right? You could use a steering cable from a yamaha jet ski. We had an old one that used that type of cable for steering. Cheap and may be easy to find.

Good luck

52 fordman

Latest posts

Back