GM Hot start problems

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

61 Apache

Here is another one that gave me trouble, and the fix that I found out.

My truck wouldn't start when it was hot, and I'm told it's because of the headers wrapping right over the solenoid of the starter, making it "to hot" or causing it to "stick". So, after beating my head on the wall for a few weeks, and NOT wanting to spend money on a heat sheild, or high torque starter, I tried this fix. A few people recommended it to me. It works like a charm. I have NEVER had another problem with it.

Wire a ford solenoid to the GM starter. Thats it. End of story. Here is a diagram/picture of how I did it.

IMAGE.jpg

That there is the "high tech" side of it all. Yessir.

Wired!

Apache,
I had that problem on my truck years ago & had wire it improperly. Started great when cold but would not when hot! Mite wanna ck it again!

BoB

Yeah, I thought it may have been wired wrong too, but the whole truck has a new painless wiring kit in it, and has been triple checked. Only problem I have is bad grounds on the tail light and I'm just to lazy to fix it the right way. Nothing like going to fill up and getting stuck at the pump for 20 minutes til the starter cools down to make you check everything OVER and OVER again! HAHA!

Thank you though! You are right, a lot of times it IS the simple things that we over look causing the problems!

one GM start problem I had years ago was a simple ground strap from the engine to the body ( dont know why it was so big of a problem but it always happened when I ran it and it was warm, 3 starters and then I put ground strap from engine to firewall after my Dad said something about it and problem solved 7 years ago with my 67 chevy pu)

Jim
p.s. I also built a heat shield because I thought it was the headers getting starter hot.

'61 Apache, what's really happening with your hot starter is, the little wire is not supplying enough current to energise the solenoid when everything gets hot. The jumper wire, being much shorter and fatter, gives it a bigger "shot". The same result can be obtained by running a heavier wire down to the solenoid. One advantage to your fix, though, is that the starter will never "stick in" and keep running when you release the switch, like they sometimes do when they get hot.

I had this problem on my 4x4 years ago. I wish I would have know about these fixes back then. Instead I bought some DEI header wrap and wrapped my starter with it. It worked like a charm and is still on there 7 years later.

A 14 guage metal strap works great as a jumper wire. Cut a peice from sheet steel, Drill it to fit and install. Good tech! Gear reduction starters (mini starter) also fix the problem for good.

another option that I used was a 1989 and up chevy truck starter it is a high tork permenant magnet mini starter like the performance places sell but alot cheaper I get mine from the wrecking yards for 20.00 each never had 1 fail yet

Latest posts

Back