model a trans replacement?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing that will directly interchange without a kit. I've been looking into getting a synchronized 33-39 trans which will bolt up to an A with an adapter kit. But the kit is $500 and a decent trans is about $300 used. People will also use a F-150 5 speed and someone makes a kit for it, but again by the time you get the kit and trans its not cheap.

I would look on fordbarn.com forum which has an excellent Model A forum and swap site, bet you can find another used A trans in decent shape for alot less than $700 rebuild kit.

EM, I checked with my friend and Model A guru, Gary Anderson. His experience is most used transmissions need shafts and bearings and some other parts totaling about $300. Bratton's sells a completely rebuilt unit for $900.
Gary suggests going on the MAFCA website and finding the local chapter. Then ask if any local old guy will rebuild a transmission and what the cost would be.

I'll ask Gary to keep an eye out for a good used box that could be used as is. Shipping by Greyhound wouldn't be very expensive.

This is assuming using some other kind of transmission isn't practical.

Just out of curiosity, what is it doing that it needs to be rebuilt? Lot of bearing noise?

I assume you have the trans filled with 600W gear oil from a Model A supplier? It's extremely thick, like molassas.

BI
Sorry BI, i didn't notice your reply. Yep it is gear noise in second. Shrieks like something that shrieks really loud.:D Originally filled with 600w but now using straight STP. I remember used car dealers used to put sawdust in them to quiet them down! No evidence without taking it apart of anything broken.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back