Who TIGs with out a foot pedal.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockabillyrat

I used a TIG today with scratch start and no pedal. It was kinda nice and very cheap to get into. Im looking to buy a TIG myself. But the cost is kinda high for me. I thought this may be a good way to go. All im going to do it steel. And for the cost of a Arc welder (which I have) and the TIG torch it seems like a good idea.

I TIG mostly steel and stainless. I do a lot of thicker stuff - 1/4 to 3/4 plate and bar. On the thick stuff the pedal becomes mostly an on/off switch. However, when I do thin stuff - 18 ga for instance - I need the temperature control. I do a lot of "pulsing" with the pedal. I would not be able to weld most of the thin steel without the pedal. The end of the bead needs much less heat to keep from burning out.

Then again, I have never had to TIG without a pedal, maybe it just takes practice.

I tig daily and depending on what I am working on sometimes use a pedal and sometimes not. Each way welds a little different and with a little pratice one is just as good as the other. I would recommend if you buy a tig welder at least buy one with lift start it will make things a lot easier especially on the thinner pieces. I rarely use a pedal when welding on my car it is too much of a pain in the butt to try to always get into a position where I can get my foot to the pedal.

I tig everything... i have a finger tip control that mounts to the torch.. this is the route i would recommend so you dont have to drag the pedal and figure out a position to use it..

I would hit CL and ebay and find yourself a used set up and get one with an arc starter and ability to control it (via pedal or figer tip control) I Picked up my set up NOS on ebay for a fraction of what it would have been new..

I think in the long run a little more money up front and you will be much happier in the end.. But actually if you have plenty of space i have seen some of the older (but much larger set ups) cheep like $100-200

I used a TIG today with scratch start and no pedal. It was kinda nice and very cheap to get into. Im looking to buy a TIG myself. But the cost is kinda high for me. I thought this may be a good way to go. All im going to do it steel. And for the cost of a Arc welder (which I have) and the TIG torch it seems like a good idea.

I had a AC/DC -/+ 250 that I used for years before buying a 110/220 welder just for a tig rig and you can burn a rod with it too. Plug it up to either voltage and it doesn't matter it will work. It is pricey. I have yet to hook up the hand switch, but have seen where it would help on thinner material. Might try it in the future, it's just I got used to using a tig rig without the hand/pedal switch that I never think of it.

I tend to weld a lot of SS and a tig rig is necessary. SS stick rods suck. Tig welding is the best.

my two cents worth.

you need the cotrol of a foot pedal or a finger tip control with thin stuff or aluminum. Definately check CL or ebay. I scored a lincoln TIG 350 with leads and a new torch complete for $900 off of ebay. Guy bought it and then didn't have enough power at his house to run it.

Latest posts

Back