TRANNY CHOICES. help!!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

Hey.

Thought Id rake yer brains bout tranny choices.

Got my dual wheeled IH that were buildin backed up with a 355ci sbc and a nice ole 6-71 blower. Its gonna be drivin a LOT! Im one of those drive it at 20 degrees with no heater, it dont matter to me.

With that said Im looking at tranny options. I have a turbo 350 to put in it, but really want a standard tranny.

Looking at options and found sum hi priced muncies and light duty saginaws.

Wat are some of my other options? I found sum muncies outta 4wd's but are they the same as I need for 2wd cars? The 4x4 thing always throws me off. Just looking at options to fullfill my cruise needs. Tnx 4 any help. RR

p.s. Can you easily adapt a tranny like a t-5 from a 5.0 mustang to a chevy???

Last edited:
The Mustang one can be converted I think. You could look for one from a Camaro or maybe run the gear vendors under/overdrive. It bolts in place of the tailshaft and doubles your gears and gives overdrive. They are warranted to 1,000 HP and have heard good things about them, they are expensive though.

Look at the NV3500. This is a lot stronger trans than the T-5 in the Cameros and Mustangs.

The NV3500 is the 5 speed used in Chevy and Dodge trucks. The low on mine is a little too low but 5th is .7 overdrive. I do 2000 RPMs at 70 mph with 3.73 gears and 32" tall tires.

There is a heavier Duty NV trans used in the Bigger trucks - I think its the NV4500.

These are pretty inexpensive trannys. Mine is from a '90 Chevy 1500. It is all new except the case and cost $1200 completely assembled and ready to go. Used ones are a lot more resonable. This era trans bolts up to SBC's.

You would want a world class t5 which is in a mustang or a camaro the camaro have an angled bell housing the rock crusher (m 20) muncie would be what you want for high hp or a nv4500 which is a rock solid trans but it'll shift like a truck and I mean a dump truck lol stay away from a nv3500 there is not a snowballs chance in you know where that would hold up to a beefed up small block they were used in light duty trucks like the a10 and dakota, the muncies from the early 80s pickups are not the same they have a granny hear and probably won't get you to 80 without some tall tires and gearing and saginaws are cheap around here but I'm sure you would be replacing them a lot with a blower so you have for good choices the t5, t56 (6 speed). Nv4500 or if you use an adapter then almost anything but those are some that fit the sbc

Chevrolet wouldn't put the T-5 behind anything but a 305 and Mustangs are also short stroke engines, they'll take a beating for a while , but they won't last long. I put a 93 Mustang T-5 behind a 283 power pack in my 65 El Camino and It didn't last a year. One hard launch on concrete with a posi and good tires and it was a goner ! We ran a Muncie behind a DZ 302 in our 55 Chevy for a full season with worn out tires. It would run 12.50 @ 105.5 MPH in the quarter. We put a new set of M/T 8.5 X 26 slicks on it ,pulled the wheels off the ground about 6 in. twice and boom, good bye Muncie. I finally gave it up and went to a richmond road race 5 speed for the street and 350 turbo's for drag.

The nvg 3500 is the top choice for me and the later model were hydrolic clutch equipted . when you get one from the salvage yard , get the clutch master and pedal assembly

Latest posts

Back