How strong are they?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooks W

Hey guys, I have a 51 f1 and want to put a jag rear in it. I have done some research and I am wondering how much abuse can the outer bearings and hub assembly take. I have a running 440 out of a scamp motor home with a torqueflite 8. Not interested in racing but I do have a heavy foot, from time to time. Do those aluminum hubs hold up or are they prone to breaking.

Nothin like ancient iron

The center section is more likely to give you trouble - if I remember correctly, it's only a Dana 44, not the kind of rearend you want behind a big block. Remember, those Jags only had six bangers and the cars they were under were pretty light compared to a US pickup.
Lots of newer SUV's have independent rears that would work way better for your truck, take a look at the truck/SUV boneyards.

I've done a considerable amount of research on guys putting built 454's, 350's, etc in their 4500 lb Jaguars and have not come across anyone who has encountered any problems with Dana 44, hubs or any other component.
The most convincing post came from road racer with a built 454. He also uses a locker, but that's pretty impractical for street application.

Just make sure you have it mounted securely to the frame and you shouldn't have any troubles. There are a number of sources on the web who supply kits for V8 conversions in Jags, you may want to google them and send them an email with your question. Andrew at Jaguar Specialties is a good guy, maybe try him.

Out of curiosity, what ratio is your rear?

Jag IRS

Been out in the salt mines wrapping up a job. My brother and I rolled the center section around trying to find the gear ratio and didn't see it. Not sure where it is located. As I remember it came out of an 1985 sedan with a 6 banger. I will get it up on a bench where I can get at it.

Latest posts

Back