Help Me Identify This Rear Axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

I was givin a rear end from a guy. I would like to see if i can use it on the rat build. It looks newer (as in newer then 1950). 5 lug, but thats all i know.

Can someone help identify it?

I opened it up and found some rust colored oil. Thinking it got some moisture from the breather hole on the top.

What do you think?! Is it useable?

Attachments

• CIMG0561.jpg
    CIMG0561.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 30
  • CIMG0562.jpg
    CIMG0562.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 34
  • CIMG0563.jpg
    CIMG0563.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 34
  • CIMG0564.jpg
    CIMG0564.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 29
  • CIMG0565.jpg
    CIMG0565.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 38
Okay, well i guess i shoulda tried on my own a little harder before wasting everyones time here.

BUT, here is a great web site that identifys all mopar rear end for everyones reference.

http://www.usaimports.co.uk/Mopar_Tech_Pages/mopar_rear_ends.htm

thanks for the help.

"8 ¼
Introduced in 1969. This rear end will be found in all Darts / Valients from 73 - 76 and also can be found in 340 Dusters and other A bodies. There is a sure -grip available beginning in 1973. This axle while not a real high performance piece is certainly good enough for a mild street car. So if you go for a disk brake swap and are pulling out those spindles etc. out of your 73-76 donor car just grab the rear and you will have a nice 4.5" wheel pattern all around and way better brakes to boot. Sure-grip units are commonly found in Diplomat cop cars throughout the 80's but that rear end is a bit harder to install than the 73 -76 due to the strange leaf spring mounting pads. These pads can be cut off the axle and replaced with more conventional ones if you wish. If you’re short on cash and you can't afford to get a 8 ¾ or find the time to locate the long 8 ¾ axles for re-splining the 8 1/4 is a real nice alternative for a while and CHEAP in the yards ($50.00 non sure-grip and $125.00 sure-grip here in Texas). You may never blow up the 8 1/4 with a mild small block street car.
Castings: 2852905, 3723598, 3723599
Info: 1 5/8 pinion, 57.6" wide, 10 bolt cover, 55.6" width (flange to flange) / 51.4 housing flange to flange / 43.02 spring seat centre to centre. "

So should i be worried with the rust colored oil?
Everything else looks good.

Looks like old 90w, pancake syrup color is normal. If water got in it will settle to bottom and usually leave a rust line.Unless the bearings look crusty(from the pic they dont)I think you will be fine, but I would change the oil.LOL

The oil looks fine! If water was in there it would either seperate from the oil or the oil would be a lil milky...as long as the gears look good I'd change the oil and run it!

Latest posts

Back