awd questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighroder

Ok so the 50 chevy truck is getting put away its not what I want and I don't know if I will use it or noy... Anyways my friend gave me a buick 3800 supercharged motor the bottom end has a spun bearing, I was gunna just swap the top over to my 01 grand prix. But I thought it would be a copl motor for an open wheel rat. I want this to be a light as possible awd car I would like it to be manuel but I haven't found much about it. So here are my questions....
The t5 out of a camaro or firebird will bolt up to the fwd motor is there any good divorced transfer cases that will hold up to full time all wheel drive?
What would be a good front suspension to put on this?
Would independent rear suspension benefit at all in weight and handling?
What is a good wheel base to shoot for?
This will be a hand made aluminium bodied car, and I want to shoot for about 2000 lbs and I would like to try to hobby road race it

you need a T5 out of a 98 up camaro/firebird as they came with 3800's in them. I have seen a syclone, typhoon AWD T case swapped into a standard trans aplication. be prepared to make your own adapter. No light weight divorced T cases out there. you could AWD used astro van spindles with 10.5" rotors and 2 piston calipers. Also use the front diff and axles as they are smallish. Make your own a arms. independent rear isnt always lighter over all but it will have less unsprung weight at the wheels. just my $.02

I have been looking into Toyota trans out of the early pickups they have a good ifs and really good brakes I think 4 piston stock it would be pretty light and they use the 5 speeds that are behind the 22re motors in v8 swaps so they are strong there might even be a kit for it but I'm not sure have to do more research

Look into a Suzuki Samurai transfer case... They are divorced, very compact, very light and very strong. They have flanges on the input and both outputs, so adapting driveshafts would be fairly easy.

An option to an AWD project is buy a JDM clip and use all that package as the drive train. The JDM importers offer a skyline AWD setup--low mile, high performance (almost a supercar) with all the suspension, both axles, tranny/transfer case, computer/wireing, complete brake system, everything, for appx $4K shipped.

A cheep N easy method for gettin WAY over your head[dr..

PA41

Latest posts

Back