Questions about Quick Change rears

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkk

I'm in the collecting parts stage of a rat build. I'd like to use a quick change rear. I have a very stout SBC 388" stroker 700+ hp on pump gas motor left over. Are the older QC rears strong enough for some serious power? I'm not into beating on my cars, but I do get on it occasionally. Do they last? I can deal with the gear noise. Just don't want to continually have to replace worn/broken parts. What should I be looking for. I don't want to buy the newest $5000 type rear. Old stock car stuff will do if good enough. Ideas / info ...:confused:

Last edited:
I have a Winters V-8 quickie rear in my coupe. I think it's supposed to be good for 600 horsepower and is currently behind a decent 392 Chrysler.......so far so good. If you are talking about 700+ hp, you are going to want to use a champ style or stronger rear. Some of the real early V-8 style quick change rears are pretty weak.

You'll want to look for the larger Champ style rearends as posted before. If you can find it with Grand National ends that would be even better. Thats the street car bolt circle, not the wide 5 pattern that would be a plus. They usually come with welded spider gears or a spool and those will need to be replaced to run on the street.

Do some of the rears come with posi style rears instead of spools? I'm an experienced body man/fabricator/mechanic. But never worked with any of the quick change rears. Any ideas what this should cost me?

If you go the quick change route, don't let anyone tell you it's ok to run helical cut quick change gears in the back, as they are out there. Have to be straight cut gears or it will not last! There is no thrust bearings/washers anywhere in the back of a quick change rear to accomodate any thrust loading.

Attachments

• qc.jpg
    qc.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 32
As Gastrick and Tripper said....Posi's the way to go. As far as power ratings....a 392 can get brutal with both power and torque if healthy.
Chevy, 700 horses, on a good rear like Gastrick's....its OK if you don't hammer on it with a 4 link and Funnycar slicks!
Within reason, as long as you were told...run the straight gears. While the helicals are quieter....they'll try to climb onto of each other when alot of power is thrown to them.
:cool:

I ran Heli cuts for years with 500t hp on asphalt from a 3/8 to 5/8 mile track for 2 and 3 hundred laps. Beat the heck out em coming off the corners. Never once tore one up. I am running a gold lock cebter fot turning purposes. Might try a ratchet on down the road.;

As Gastrick and Tripper said....Posi's the way to go.
I understand to use the champ style center housing. Are the sprint car rears the specific center housings I need? I really don't know anything at all about the Quick Change rears. Just want to get it right the first time. I need to figure out what I need and start collecting parts. Any help you guys can give me is really appreciated.

Lets see, you got Speedway, Tiger, Halibrand, Winters.....all depends. I've been building racing stuff for over 35 years. I'm a Pro Racing Mechanic or wrench. I build racing machines. Drivetrains in paticular. I don't drive em, All I do is build them and sort them out to make racers happy, period.
You can get 10 racers together and ask them about QC's, you'll come up with about 5 names and then there will be a big fight on your hands.
QC's come in diff. sizes, for diff. applications. You've got Mini's, Midgets, al the way up to the Outlaw Sprintcars. Your gonna probably want a Max type from Speedway or better.
Since you know what type of car your gonna build, roughly the weight, and you know the power your gonna be putting out, and a rough Idea of your gearing....all you gotta do is find the one within your price range that can handle it(the power).
Your top Names are Speedway, Tiger, Halibrand, and Winters. Don't ask me to pick one. Cause thats like asking me what motor I like the best. In the field I'm in....If I say anything....I can get beat up severly up about the head and eyes....by my sponsors, and my Clients!....:D [P

Last edited:
I'm putting a winters Grand national under my Anglia,, it had a aluminum spool with it when I bought it off e-bay, but I found a aluminum detroit locker on e-bay also

I paid 250 for the rearend and another 400 for the locker, and 800 to get the R/E narrowed and new axles made,so I have about 1500 bucks in it so far, the G/N are real strong units,, just don't be dumping the clutch, or nasty burnouts,, hard street use they should hold up just fine,, I sure as hell hope so anyway,,its behind a Blown / nitrous BBC

Attachments

• 004-2.jpg
    004-2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back