B.O.P. 400 tranny

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerchooper

the tranny is out of a 72 olds wagon.

ok, i think i have a major issue. i jacked up the car and blocked the rear end. i just hooked up the vac line to the gov on the tranny. i can feel and see it go into 2nd gear. but i can get anything for 3rd with, up and down shifting. i dont have the electric d tent wire hooked up, which shouldnt cause this, right?

i have 2 wires coming off of the tranny, one is over the vavle body and the other is coming out next to the speedo cable hook up. i was thinking the wire next to the speed o would be for the reverse lights, is that correct.

im at a lost for now, what should/ could/ would do? lol

With the car on jack stands you may not "Feel" the 2-3 shift, t 400 shift soft in stock form. The vaccum line goes to the modulator and if you don't have good vaccum or the modulator is bad you may not have 3rd gear. Put a new modulator on it and try it again, mods cost about $6. The wire near the front is the kick down or passing gear switch and will not affect shifting up or down if not hooked up you just won't have passing gear when you floor it but it should shift gears when you move the shift lever. There was a switch hooked to the throttle linkage for passing gear.

if you have two wires then you have kick down and switch pitch tranny. pretty kool setup if that is the case you can put a switch to it and have a stall are stock. that is if i read your post right. with the car on stands it might not even go to low unless you put if there with the shifter, some will go straight to high.

ok i reread your post, the trans that i'm talking about the wire will be on the same plug that has the passing gear. i don't know what the extra wire is for.

With the car on jack stands you may not "Feel" the 2-3 shift, t 400 shift soft in stock form.

with me on the gas and not trying to blow the motor up, around 40 to 50mph is all i can get. when i idle it in first, i watch the speedo. when i kick it into 2nd at idle it will pick up speed. when i go into 3rd nothing. i also tried this around 3500 rpm. i dont have the tack hooked up yet.

where do you have your modulator valve hooked up at? had a buick that set for awhile and the fitting in the intake stopped up, would shift to 2nd but not 3rd, i have also hooked them to the carb that didn't work real well either.

this might be a dumb question, but is the speedo set for this trans? is it in the car it came in or a older car?

the vac line is hooked to the carb. i was told last night to try the manifold for vac.

72 olds th400. 68 camaro gauges, 88 chevy rearend

with that setup if anything your speedo should read fast. try the vac line and make sure you got good vac at the mod. valve, also make sure your line is not sucking shut.

brand new steel line with 3" of rubber hose on the vac line.

i switched to to the manifold, still no thrid gear. i will hopefully be able to get a mod valve tomorrow after work.

if that doesnt work, out it comes to get rebuilt.

Latest posts

Back