Cutting Dana 60 Down

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busch

Been looking for a Ford 9" got to thinking I have 3 60 in the shop why not use one of them, has any one here cut a 60 down before looking for Pros- Cons
will have to get a set moser axles so why not use one

I knwo a few guys from my Jeep days that had a D60 cut down and seemed to work fine, as you mentioned though, I think the only issue would be custom axle shafts....

It is the same as doing a 9" or any others. Just an FYI you can use big ford bearing ends. moser and or strange will sell you a conversion axle that takes a ford bearing with a D60 spline. Makes it cheaper and easier over all[;)

Dna 60s are very heavy and you have to set up gears from under the car cuz the center don't drop out like the Ford ,, I prefer the 9 inch...:D

Dna 60s are very heavy and you have to set up gears from under the car cuz the center don't drop out like the Ford ,, I prefer the 9 inch...:D

fuzz 9s are the way to go, but I have a 60 once I get it cut an geared it wont be getting changed should take all the beating I can do to it an than some. My Rat is about 2700 pd with a 4 link hopefully I can get power to the ground not have to worry about blowing it up

You are on the right track. I looked into this already because I have a 60 out back that has 3:73's and a locker already. If I built a 9 I would need axles and ends anyways. So it is way cheaper that way

Fuzz and Busch are right....The 9" is the way to go.....alot easier to setup....:cool:
Theres a couple of sites out there that have a pretty good DIY feature on narrowing the ford 9's....just do a search. As long as you can cut a axle tube and read a tape, your good to go....

I put a Dana 60 in my T Bucket. Absolutely bullet proof. They are easy to set up. The hardest part is getting the carrier out for the first time. You have to spread the housing to get it out. A friend of mine has a spreader. Then press off the carrier bearings and polish the carrier so that the bearings are just a slip fit. The shims are behind the bearings on the Dana. Now you can set it up with out a spreader. This is how they did them back in the pro stock days when all the pro cars ran the Dana.
I found some new Oldsmobile ends on Ebay for cheap, nobody runs them anymore but they have real big bearings in them. This Dana came out of a 3/4 ton Ford truck so I could not use the floating axles or housing ends. Called Moser on Monday and had axles on Thursday. Mixing all that stuff is no problem for them. Total cost for a Dana 60 with 4:10 posi and axles $600
newtfinished2.jpg

Oh Ron....evertime I see that car of yours it gets my blood pumpin'! Ha! Yea, the Dana 60 are a good rear....I totally agree. They're in enough trucks and they're sought after by the crawlers....The 9 inch, you can pull the center section out and throw it up on the workbench when you need to....
I don't mind sitting up rearends....as long as I can sit on a stool, or stand at a work bench. Ha! [cl

Hey RON!!!! What is that wire hanging down right under your bed in the photo? Taillight wire? License Plate light?[;)
Thats one sweet bucket....[dr

Hey RON!!!! What is that wire hanging down right under your bed in the photo? Taillight wire? License Plate light?[;)
Thats one sweet bucket....[dr

It was a tag light wire that had not been hooked up yet. That pic was taken right after we got it running enough to go for a ride. Did not need a tag light to go for a quick ride.

The 9 inch, you can pull the center section out and throw it up on the workbench when you need to.... With a Dana 60 you won't have to pull it after you built it.

Latest posts

Back