Rat rod pickup questions.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratphotog

Banned
I have been doing some searching on the forums here and I am not quite finding the info I want.

I am looking at a 1938 Chevy 1-ton pickup for a rat rod project. The coolest part of this truck is the wook floor in the bed has moss growing all over it.

I see all these rat rods have "Z"ed frames and that the owners that z their frames usually remove the bed floors.

Is there a way I can get the body lowered in this trusk and still maintain the bed floor?

I guess this thread is also an attempt to consolodate some info on modifying frames. Please fill me in. :)

Thanks in advance.

Sure is, when you z your frame, don't get real radical on the z. Go with something like a 4" z........Here is a picture of a Z'd bed with would planks.

Attachments

• woodbed.jpg
    woodbed.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 79
How about just reusing the floor boards after you raise it? No matter what, the lower you go, the higher your axle is gonna sit in the bed - no way around that part of it.

I figured thats what I will have to do if I buy this truck. I just think that super shallow beds looks a little silly. But if I want to lower it and z the frame then I guess thats the price to pay.

Thanks for the info. I am going to take another serious look at this truck and consider buying it.

On the one I am building I plan on using a model T tank in the bad and behind the rear I plan on building a trunk between the frame rails and the floor of the floor of the bed will open up to get to it.

I plan on building it out of stainless steel with a plug in the bottom so it can be used as a cooler.

If you like the look of moss covered wood, I would do like Sam said and reuse the moss boards, then park it in the shade and keep it watered :D Plan to use wood myself, I think it would look cool [P

Latest posts

Back