Building a driveshaft

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJinaTJ

All,

I put up a few pics and a video that may help you guys out. We have been making our own driveshafts and it is working out well. Make sure you get them straight with a dial indicator and have them balanced by a professional though. We put the info on out facebook page because I did not know how to put a video on here.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-Tin-Rods/255077880685

driveshaft.jpg

balancing driveshafts

Hey

I had an old timer tell me that they used to drill a hole in the mid point on a shaft and weld a nut there. then they used a copper washer and a bolt to seal it. then they filled the shaft half way up with transmission fluid. to make a fluid dampner. i have'nt had the chance but it sound good to me.

paul

I've made a bunch just with a hand grinder/chop saw/tubeing cutter. Just peal the end out of the tube--shorten it and weld it back own. Almost all of the ends are inteference fit. The shorter they are the less likely you'll have problems, and if you pay close attention to index and 'true' when you tap the end into the tube--it almost always comes out good.

I've only had one bad one, and must have been having a bad day. When
I took it off it was so obviously kinked. Usually your eye is really true if ya just look.

I've always used good front and rear driveshaft loop/chains though--just in case..

PA41

Latest posts

Back