Copper plate solution

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

Curiosity got the better of me at the steel shop today. Bought a little bottle of blue solution that you spray on to steel and it somehow plates it with a very thin copper layer.

Anyway I had this cheapo steering wheel laying around, figured I'd try it out. Sanded off the paint, applied several rounds of the solution then a clear. It looks...well, old at least. It would look better with a flat clear. Either way doesn't look much like copper. Not sure I expected much better, but it was an interesting exercise.

Attachments

• CIMG3456.jpg
    CIMG3456.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 43
  • CIMG3457.jpg
    CIMG3457.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 63
  • CIMG3458.jpg
    CIMG3458.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 69
I think it looks like copper, at least in the pics. Looks like it might have a place depending on the application. Neat alternative to spray paint.

Irish,
I've seen that stuff too & have been tempted but never tried it. It makes it look better than the original! Kool!!!

BoB

Irish,
I've seen that stuff too & have been tempted but never tried it. It makes it look better than the original! Kool!!!

BoB

They had all kinds of other solutions - I think a brass plate and lots of different ones that simulate aged metal, "Auburn rust", etc. Some of the rust ones looked really cool, will have to try some more of them.

Triple S Steel is where I went. They have them all over the place down here.

http://www.sss-steel.com/

They distribute their own brand of these solutions, but I would think other steel shops will sell similar stuff. They appear to be for guys building fancy gates & steel fences, other steel/iron decorative things.

Triple S Steel is where I went. They have them all over the place down here.

http://www.sss-steel.com/

They distribute their own brand of these solutions, but I would think other steel shops will sell similar stuff. They appear to be for guys building fancy gates & steel fences, other steel/iron decorative things.

Page 66 of the online catalog. Wonder if Bonehead knows anything about this stuff - seems like it's geared toward some of the stuff he does.

Latest posts

Back