Burnt my Face!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilJohnson

Well knew better than to weld without a helmet. My welding helmet broke so I figured I'd lay some blind man beads on my car. I closed my eyes and did a little bit of welding. Well that was a big mistake. My flippin' face feels like it is on fire. My eye lids got burnt too :mad: I weld without gloves all the time, in the summer I'll be out welding in shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt and never get burnt. Well I guess the face is more sensitive to UV light :( This is the last time I'm welding without my trusty helmet. I bought myself a new one that is higher quality. The other one had the head adjustment band break right away and then finally the head gear busted. The new helmet has a nifty flip up lid too so it can double as a grinding shield :) I guess I'll have to keep slathering on the lotion and hope I feel better tomorrow.

Man I feel for you. :eek:

...LOL, dont mean to laugh [ddd but I did the same thing during the summer. Was just going to tack an few places but end up welding alot more than I had planned on, just about all day.[;) I did have on my helmet but welding in shorts and flip-flop and t-shirt, that just dont cut it. Looked like I had been out in the sun for days...:D

Cold showers hurt too...:D

Wait till the piling starts. Layer after layer of skin comes off for days.

Lesson learned the hard way. Now its jeans, long sleeves shirts and real shoes.

And yes the lotion will help.....

Wish you a speedy recovery but dont count on it.

I always wear my glove and helmet when welding. I don't do much car work in the summer if I can help it but if I do I wear jeans and real shoes. I am much less careful grinding though, for some reason. I hope you heal up quick.

WELDING.jpg

Well knew better than to weld without a helmet. My welding helmet broke so I figured I'd lay some blind man beads on my car. I closed my eyes and did a little bit of welding. Well that was a big mistake. My flippin' face feels like it is on fire. My eye lids got burnt too :mad: I weld without gloves all the time, in the summer I'll be out welding in shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt and never get burnt. Well I guess the face is more sensitive to UV light :( This is the last time I'm welding without my trusty helmet. I bought myself a new one that is higher quality. The other one had the head adjustment band break right away and then finally the head gear busted. The new helmet has a nifty flip up lid too so it can double as a grinding shield :) I guess I'll have to keep slathering on the lotion and hope I feel better tomorrow.

I did the exact same thing a couple years ago when my helmet was pooched, fried eyelids plus from squinting while I did it, I got nifty white crows feet lines to boot. Made for a nice compliment to my farmers tan as well as white feet up to my ankles from wearing shorts and work boots all summer. :eek:

I dont think the immediate burn is the worst part, its the long term effects of the radiation if you keep welding unprotected that might be more of a concern.

Eyelids and that tender skin right under your titties just dont take welding flash to well.LOL

yup, when Miller first came out in the 70's with the Millermatic 35, I was one of the lucky few body men to get one from our local supplier free for testing. Nobody told me you need a special lens or long sleeves. I just threw a second *gas* lens in my one piece goggles after realizing one wasn't enough and welded all day. The next morning I was in the emergency room with wicked burns on my face and arms and my eyes were all swollen and gritty. a week with eye patches to heal and about 3 1/2 weeks for the heavier scabs to wear down on the rest of me...yup...a real good lesson! But! I did love welding with the mig for sure...

Sunglasses is standard fayre for welding here in the Philippines.

Real men don't use guards on grinders, safety glasses, hearing protection, safety boots etc :rolleyes:

I wear the same gear in my garage as I use at work offshore, because that is where I pinch it all from. :D

Sunglasses is standard fayre for welding here in the Philippines.

Real men don't use guards on grinders, safety glasses, hearing protection, safety boots etc :rolleyes:

I wear the same gear in my garage as I use at work offshore, because that is where I pinch it all from. :D
Whated you say. Maw can you read me what he wrote?

It's so hot down here I usually work in the shop just in shorts and tennis shoes, no shirt. When I weld I end up with a white line across my chest where my arm sheilds the arc flash, and the rest of my upper body is sunburned red. It only takes a few short welds to really cook yourself. :eek:

Don

It's so hot down here I usually work in the shop just in shorts and tennis shoes, no shirt. When I weld I end up with a white line across my chest where my arm sheilds the arc flash, and the rest of my upper body is sunburned red. It only takes a few short welds to really cook yourself. :eek:

Don

I do the same but usually have on the thinnest threadbare T-shirt I can find. I also put on SPF 50 on my arms which really helps stop the sunburn.

You really don't want to be repeatedly burned by welding flash - it's like a tanning bed on nitro methane. Prime time skin cancer stuff.

You really don't want to be repeatedly burned by welding flash - it's like a tanning bed on nitro methane. Prime time skin cancer stuff.

Hmmm, while I don't do much welding it might be time to cover up some. I don't burn very easy so I never gave it much thought. The ole face has healed right up and I bought myself a new welding helmet.

I've done that a few times and know what its like so I feel your pain! I've been to the ER a couple of times for a nasty case of welders eye and that don't feel too good either! Needless to say I wear a hood 99.9% of the time now! About a year ago I was welding patch panels on a 85 chevy swb and set the bottom of my jeans on fire where they was frayed, I now have a 6x2 scare to show for it! But I graduated from the school of hard knocks so thats the way I learn! [cl

Latest posts

Back