60's Ford 4lug

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onequick26

Puts Nitro on his Cheerios
I'm trying to put new axel seals in my ranchero. It has the 4 lug rear that just about came in all the 6cyl Mustang, Falcon etc.. How do the axel's come out ?[S. I don't know any thing about these and don' really want to brake anything even thow that would speed up the getting a 9in [ddev. Any help would be great ! Thanks !!

If it has a cover on the rear, there will be C-clips holding the axles in, very much like a gm 10/12 bolt, iirc. Place on jackstands, remove the cover, and rotate the axle looking for a bolt that holds the pin in for the spider gears. Remove the bolt, slide the pin out, the C-clips should be visible and once removed, the axles will slide out, after the drums are removed.

LRR

This pic is a 5 bolt but a socket goes through the hole and removes the 4 bolts that hold the bearing in. If it is a 8-9 inch.
CIMG1920.jpg

Last edited:
It should be a early 7 1/4 rear with a rear cover. The early ones the axle comes out just like the 8 & 9 inches rears. Remove the 4 bolt that hold the retaining plate to the housing. Bolt the axle slider hammer to the axle flange and in a few slides of the hammer and the axle should come out.

The later 7 1/4 have a C clip holding the axles in. For that you would have to remove the rear cover. Then remove the center pin and slide the axle in and remove the clip on the end of the axle.

Latest posts

Back