backyard aluminum casting

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sofa king

I have started casting aluminum parts. Mostly skulls, I did make a couple of clutch levers for my bikes. Is any one else into backyard metal casting?

I recon I will start things off with some pics of my first melt. I made a small furnice that used charcoal as fuel. and melted a bunch of cans. (dont melt your old beer cans) It just isnt worth it.

Attachments

• casting 007 (Copy).jpg
    casting 007 (Copy).jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 132
  • casting 008 (Copy).jpg
    casting 008 (Copy).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 125
  • casting 006 (Copy).jpg
    casting 006 (Copy).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 137
  • casting 016.jpg
    casting 016.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 144
Ditto! Tell us more! Why not beer cans? Easier to just drop in a roll of aluminum foil?

Way to many impurities in the cans. I get my aluminum from work. Mostly old water pumps, aluminum wheels, heads and stuff like that.

Attachments

• casting 020 (Copy).jpg
    casting 020 (Copy).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 91
  • casting 027 (Copy).jpg
    casting 027 (Copy).jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 90
  • casting 028 (Copy).jpg
    casting 028 (Copy).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 86
  • casting 030.jpg
    casting 030.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a whole whack of info on the subject, just haven't tried anything yet, way to many projects on the go to start another one. Green cast, sand cast, (much the same), Lost wax, foam, investment, (another group that is the same or similar,) and a whole lot of how to stuff. I likely have a book that covers just about every part of the subject on a beginner/amateur scale. Even picked up a set of shrink rulers for making molds. Someday I'll get to it and actually produce something. My pile of aluminum keeps growing in the mean time. The question on why not cans? They are so thin that they oxidize and turn into dross instead of liquid metal when they get fed into the melt at a slow rate. But even worse, any trace of liquid remaining in the can will cause a steam explosion and splatter molten metal everywhere, not good at any time. I'd like to find someone locally that is into this, and see first hand what it's about. Books are great, but hands on is where you really learn.

Show us some of your molds and cast pieces. Old screendoor extrusions would be ok right?Lots of those around for cheap.

i have always been told that the beer/coke cans are best, but have never tried to melt them. i do know that the cans pay more then wheels and other things. we used to do some work for alcan in ga. years ago and the cans is all they used. i have thought about doing this so i'll keep reading this thread.

Using the charcoal for fuel is a pain. So I built a waist oil burner. This is it during r&d. It is the setup I am still using. Waist oil is free!

Attachments

• casting 003 (Copy).jpg
    casting 003 (Copy).jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 106
  • casting 023 (Copy).jpg
    casting 023 (Copy).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 108
  • casting 005 (Copy).jpg
    casting 005 (Copy).jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 122
  • casting 022.jpg
    casting 022.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 113
  • casting 004 (Copy).jpg
    casting 004 (Copy).jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 110
  • casting 002 (Copy).jpg
    casting 002 (Copy).jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 114
  • casting 001 (Copy).jpg
    casting 001 (Copy).jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 116
This is an example of lost foam casting. First you carve / shape the foam and attach runners for the aluminum to flow through. Then you burry it in the sand (use the finest sand you can find) with the runners sticking out. then melt your aluminum and pour it into the runner sticking out of the sand. The aluminum burns the foam away and fills the void at the same time.

Attachments

• casting 035 (Copy).jpg
    casting 035 (Copy).jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 141
  • casting 019 (Copy).jpg
    casting 019 (Copy).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 147
  • casting 041 (Copy).jpg
    casting 041 (Copy).jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 154
  • casting 040 (Copy).jpg
    casting 040 (Copy).jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 164
  • casting 039 (Copy).jpg
    casting 039 (Copy).jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 139
  • casting 038 (Copy).jpg
    casting 038 (Copy).jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 142
  • casting 037 (Copy).jpg
    casting 037 (Copy).jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 138
  • casting 036 (Copy).jpg
    casting 036 (Copy).jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 137
  • casting 033 (Copy).jpg
    casting 033 (Copy).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 155
  • casting 034 (Copy).jpg
    casting 034 (Copy).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 154
The deal with the cans is to much waste when you melt it you can still see paint from the label. And when you clean off the dross (paint) it takes some aluminum with it. The other thing is its extruded so it a different aluminum. Using the stuff Sofa talks about is cast aluminum and that’s what you are going to do with it too. It would take many cans to equal the amount of aluminum that a water pump housing yields

Sofa have you tried to coat the foam with plaster it is said that the cast part is much smoother with a plaster housing.

Have fun
Tom
P.S. check out these sites
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/hmkithelp.html
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/casting_metals/index8.html

That looks pretty cool,I like those skulls even in their as cast form,so now I have to give this a try,possibilities are endless.

It takes about 30 aluminum cans to make 1 pound of aluminum. As mentioned, when melting, any liquid remaining will make a mess or pop, much like water in hot oil. Aluminum wheels or extruded window frames are a different alloy than cast aluminum pieces like water pumps, intake manifolds etc, and will likely have a slightly different melting temp than each other. They are also typically more expensive to buy than cast aluminum. I personally find water pumps more difficult to process (disassemble) than intake manifolds, front covers, valve covers, bellhousings and tailshaft housings, and they don't weigh as much once stripped down. Cylinder heads have the most weight, but they also have a lot of parts to remove, and have the valve seats and guides in them that are a pain to remove.

LRR

Sofa have you tried to coat the foam with plaster it is said that the cast part is much smoother with a plaster housing.

No I have not tried that yet. I am getting ready to try lost wax casting. I got some silicone rubber from www.brickintheyard.com now I need to make a rubber mold with it so I can make a wax part. Then you coat the wax part in plaster.
Then after that dries you stick it in the oven upside down / with a pan under it to catch the wax so it can be re used. After all that you can pour in the aluminum.

I made inverted clutch levers using the green sand method. I don't have pics of the mold but I will post the pics I do have.

Attachments

• 01-08-11_1336.jpg
    01-08-11_1336.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 01-08-11_1335.jpg
    01-08-11_1335.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 01-08-11_1334.jpg
    01-08-11_1334.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 01-08-11_1333.jpg
    01-08-11_1333.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 86
  • casting [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    casting [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 91
cast aluminum stuff

Attached is a belt sander/grinder I built years ago. I cast the bearing housings and belt wheels. Also is the first page of the construction plans that were published in a machinist mag.
A picture of a dash gauge panel for a woodie I built long time ago too.
have fun
Tom

Attachments

• beltsander.jpg
    beltsander.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 45
  • BELT1b.jpg
    BELT1b.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 52
  • beltsander2.jpg
    beltsander2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 44
  • woodie12.JPG
    woodie12.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 51
I know "Berkelusa" AKA Rob in NH has done some casting in aluminum...Funny I think he did skulls too. I do casting of a different sort. I do resin casting & yes they are skulls too. Skulls are popular.

IMGP1435-vi.jpg

IMGP1440-vi.jpg

skull-markers-avail.html

IMGP1745-vi.jpg

Latest posts

Back