flame thrower problem.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psycho Kustoms

i just did the autoloc flame thrower kit in a customers 41 olds straight 8 cyl...the kit seems to be working,but we just dont get enough flame....its only about a foot or so...the reason i say the kit seems to be working is because when we hit the button the plug sparks and the motor wants to stall......anything i need to do to get more unburned gasses to flow through???:confused:

Unfortunately, I think it is working. A friend installed that same kit and only got flames about 8 - 12 inches. I guess you could try adjusting the carb to run a little richer. I am experimenting with different set-ups for flame throwers now, but I'm not having a whole lot of luck either. Thinkin about propane

safe???? how do you turn the propane on and off from the drivers seat?

there is someplace i have seen a kit using propane for flame throwers,

if it were me id hook up a switch and regulator right at the bottle with a solenoid to open and close when you want flames

i have read a lot of bad stuff about cutting off the ignition so the fuel just keeps flowing for flame throwers

years ago i would do that in my car, shut off the key, leave it in gear and fuel fills up the exhaust, flip the key and BOOM plus lots of flames, blew plenty of mufflers that way, also blew a manifold thru the hood, that was the last time i did that

Ron

This thread needed pictures.:D

Attachments

• burnt tag2.jpg
    burnt tag2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 91
  • burnt tag.jpg
    burnt tag.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 82
hello everyone new guy here who maybe able to shed some light on this topic for you.if the pics load you will see 2 styles of flame from my 59 chevy 1 looks like an afterburner style flame this is similar to the autoloc kit. forget the 20' flames wont happen 10"- 12" is about what you get also easy to blow out the mufflers and can def damage the motor had a bad backfire one time and i blew out the mufflers and did some engine damage not sure exactly what as the motor is sitting under my workbench with no compression in 1 cylinder. other picture is from an injected setup much easier on the engine and more natural style flames. this setup is more expensive as it requires a high pressure fuel pump .N.O.S. fuel solenoids ,nitrous jets in the exhaust . this style is easier to work with as you can either buy the nitrous jets in different orifice sizes or drill yours out

Attachments

• hrpt flames.jpg
    hrpt flames.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 54
  • WAG DAY FLAME3.jpg
    WAG DAY FLAME3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 51
59 wagon man,
Very cool... can you go a little more in depth on the "How To" with the NOS solonoid and jets?

I really want to put flamethrowers on my truck.

Thanks, and.....Welcome to RRR

ask any questions you want and i'll try and answer it for you. basically here is what you need
1 - i used a bosch hi pressure fuel pump same kind of pump in a nitrous kit or vortech kit
2- maybe cheaper to buy an old N.O.S. setup without the tank
3- cut into the fuel line install a filter and hook to the pump
4 from the pump i used some of the lines from the nos kit to a TEE fitting
5- each side of the tee got another nos line to each exhaust pipe
6- N.O.S. sells just a single inlet nozzle which looks like a bulkhead fitting
7- nitrous jets are available in all different sizes the flames pictured are with a .012 jet
8- a couple of relays to power the pump and a dash mounted switch
9 make sure the exhaust is warm and hit the switch .
10 wala you got a flame

Latest posts

Back