eastwood powder coating systems

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowmaster tech

its tax season and this year i wanna invest in a home powder coat system and the eastwood system seems to have good reveiws.. im gunna use a home oven from the thrift store. any u cats use this method? got any good tips stuff to watch for or know of a better system that doesnt cost my arm and a kid thanks guys:cool:

powder coat

hI
Most of the cheaper powder coating guns are the same. It may be better if you get one with a better power supply (adjustable HV output).
Also check the web there are places giving info on doing mods to the gun for better flow. http://forum.caswellplating.com/powder-coating-questions/
I bought their gun adjustable power supply up to 50 kv.
http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/hvpc.html

I built a oven using home range top elements and regular fiberglass insulation with a temp control from Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dual-Digita...272?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33648c6f78

55 gal drum with 4" insulation works great.

No big magic here

have fun
Tom

Attachments

• powder coat oven (4).jpg
    powder coat oven (4).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 55
  • powder coat oven controller (1).jpg
    powder coat oven controller (1).jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 35
I use a cheapo unit from HF

the one from HF works pretty well and the old electric oven does the job for the small stuff.... haven't done a lot.... wheels, brackets, exhaust manifolds, pulleys and such... worked great for me.... the oven is a used electric range with the cleaning cycle so I can get the temps up pretty high.... almost 600 degrees according to the cheapo laser temp gage I have..... had to do a cycle thing on my ram air manifold on the pontiac.....500 for 20 minutes, then cool and do 400 for 20 min down to 200 degrees the final step....worked great... all my powders are from Columbia coatings.... i don't use the hf stuff...

We have the eastwood kit and no complaints. Heres a few before and after pics. The parts were acid washed and glass beaded before the powder coating.

Attachments

• IMAG0724.jpg
    IMAG0724.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0726.jpg
    IMAG0726.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 46
  • IMAG0723.jpg
    IMAG0723.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0740.jpg
    IMAG0740.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 44
I use the Eastwood dual voltage gun. It is a hobby gun to tell you the truth, but it works well for me. I powder coat all the stuff I airbrush on(except tanks and fenders). I built my oven using regular metal studs and 24ga sheet metal, and the guts from and old oven. Total for a 4'x4'x3' oven with the same sized spray booth attached was about $90.I built a rolling trolley to hang my stuff on , then I just roll it into the oven. You really have to watch the dust ,it will stick to your stuff. I used mineral wool insulation that you can get from any insulation supplier in your area. One other thing that I really love, is that when I am done with the artwork on my stuff, I shoot a glossy clear powder over my artowrk. It comes out like glass, and you can sand and polish it if you want. All the Eastwood powders are good. If you need any more info or a look at my oven just PM me.
IMG_0748.jpg

oven

Blacksheep
That is a slick oven look like you slide the door open between your spray area and oven push the stuff in and slide the door closed.
always need to see how others do things.

have fun
Tom

Blacksheep
That is a slick oven look like you slide the door open between your spray area and oven push the stuff in and slide the door closed.
always need to see how others do things.

have fun
Tom

Thanks Jester, it makes my life a lot easier thats for sure. I have an old vacuum that I use to capture any excess powder or lint.

Latest posts

Back