what shifter to use ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harley rider

trying to decide what shifter to buy for the 39 .looking at the so called street rod shifters . I have seen posts on the lokar and gennie shifters pro and con. what about the ones made by B@M ? TCI also makes one.have just about ruled out the lokar unit because of the buttun in the knob. the b@m shifter is operated by pushing down on knob then back and forth into the gears. how does the gennie operate ? which is the better shifter?

Hey Man, i have a lokar, the button in the knob works great, only problem i have is it downshifts when i hit roads bumps at high speed.

Unless things have changed in the last few weeks Gennie is having trouble supplying their stuff.

Yep... that is easing up but some suppliers still have stuff in stock depending on what tranny u're using. You may have to call around like I did but I didn't wanna use Lokar because of the button issue either. But remember... Gennie & Lokar are not for race type shifting... it's basically put it in gear & go. I also had a hard time finding a shift lever.

BoB

Ya,it's like kickdown when you don't want it. I'm thinking about crawling under there and checking to see if i can tighten it up. I was told the longer the shifter the more likely it is to do that,makes sense too.

Here's a couple of things I learned on my Lokar. First of all, mine would drop down from 3rd to 2nd on a hard bump sometimes. Finally tightened up those two jam nuts that run horizontally through the shifter, (after you remove the boot it is right there at the top of the mechanism) problem solved.

The other thing was, I scrapped the stock push button knob when my Son Dan bought me a big round Lucky Lady knob. It worked SO much better than the stock one, and all I had to do was put my hand on top and push down to make it shift. Mine was from Gennie. When I was selling the car I wanted to keep the knob so I put the stock one back on and it was a bear to use, I hated it after using the big one.

As for Gennie, they are pretty iffy. I bought my Son Dan a new handle for his a couple of months ago and when I called the guy on the phone to order I laid it right out there........told him I had heard of shipping issues and if you don't have it in stock tell me the truth NOW. He said he had it, and it came out of Steamline, a subdivision of Gennie. But there are problems at Gennie right now, from all the threads I see everywhere.

Personally, I liked my Lokar better than my Sons Gennie, just feels better IMO, but to each his own.

Don

So it looks like my choices are one shifter that reliability is in question, another the companies reliability is in question. ordered the B@M ,only one I heard nothing negative about .let ya know how it works out. thanks for everyones input.

I think I read where the original owners sold out Gennie and the place has had some issues since then. I've kinda learned that where there is this kind of smoke there is fire........maybe not right away, but sometime down the road. This tough economy makes it even harder for a company to recover.

Don

So it looks like my choices are one shifter that reliability is in question, another the companies reliability is in question. ordered the B@M ,only one I heard nothing negative about .let ya know how it works out. thanks for everyones input.

What B&M shifter did you order?

Attachments

• shifter 005.jpg
    shifter 005.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 19
  • shifter 004.jpg
    shifter 004.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 16
  • shifter 001.jpg
    shifter 001.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts