need help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keyswitch

i have a 1961 2 ton chevy truck that i haul cars on. transmission was giving me trouble so i pulled it. what i need to know is what type of bearing is there in the input shaft where you split the main shaft. there were rollers in the housing but they seem too big i don't know if someone just stuck some in there and didn't know what they were doing .
any help is appreciated jim

ps trans is a 4 speed

This is not a toploader but the bearings are simular, You will have an outer bearing under the the throwout bearing cover and then there are big needle bearings on the inside cup of the pilot input shaft.

Attachments

• trans-expl.jpg
    trans-expl.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 17
A little trick to putting them needle bearing back in is pack them in grease it will hold them in place while you put the shafts together.

hey snake would you know what size needles they are. are they about the size in a u joint? they were all missing when i pulled it apart.

No they are way bigger, maybe a little smaller than a pencil, Its been a while since iv been in one. If they fell out they should be laying in the bottom of tranny.

i found some about the size of those in a small roller bearing but they seem ed like they were too big and when trying to put them back it seemed like only half of them were there. but i don't think that the rest of them wouldn't have fit any way.

thanks for all your help snake. i have been looking but thats like looking for a needle in a haystack( wish you had one in your back pocket)

could also be a muncie or borg warner...

I assume it's heavy duty with granny gear.... see attached exploded view of trans....

Sorry couldn't get the borg warner photo to upload for some reason.....

Attachments

• nxmunciesm465.jpg
    nxmunciesm465.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1
  • nxnp435.jpg
    nxnp435.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1
heres the borg warner

Sorry couldn't get the borg warner photo to upload for some reason.....

heres the other one.... BW

I don't think any used round roller bearings in input shaft to main shaft locations..... if my memory serves me at all....

Attachments

• nxbwt18.jpg
    nxbwt18.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I don't think any used round roller bearings in input shaft to main shaft locations..... if my memory serves me at all....

These are big needle bearings that fit into the pilot input shaft(see arrows)

Attachments

• 462px-NP435-schematic01.jpg
    462px-NP435-schematic01.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back