Rear end swap on '51 F3

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Crown

Disclaimer:

I'm doing all of this on my phone, and it won't let me search the forum for some reason...

Ok, so here's the deal:

I bought a rear end for the ford. Its a matching dimension rear end with 3.42 gears from a '75 GMC 3/4 ton. The ford rear end is 4.86 fyi.

So my question is:

The driveshaft on the ford is 2 piece. The yoke on the new rear end is obviously different...So what's the best idea to mate the ford driveshaft to the gmc?

Are there adapters out there that will work, or do I cut and paste a gmc section of driveshaft to the ford?

Whats the best direction to go with this?

I have thought about making my own drivelines, but considering they have to be comepletly round, and even weight, and angle of yoke, I think I'll go to a driveline shop and tell em what I want. just me

Not if it's not going to turn fast, but think of the speed it will spin. I think any thing off balance would be a u-joint eater. just my opinion, and worth everything ya paid for it! :)

My late father made a fit between a turbo 350 chevy and ford rear about 7 years ago.It just so happened that the chevy shaft was perfect size and went in ford so tight there was no movement at all.He just cut the two so one slid inside other the whole lenght of shaft .Then welded the end up.[;)
He said even if his weld failed the two pieces would just spin and not come out of car.
It worked ,but was one of those once in a lifetime fits that never happened before or since.
Like everyone says,if you have a driveline shop in your area I would have it made by them.
My cousin broke a universal at rear axle a few years ago on his 4X4 blazer.It broke side out of transmission before front yoke flew out.Not pretty.

Latest posts

Back