nv3500 rebuild!?????? HELP?????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev Tex Devlle

He's workin' 4 da Lord, in a '46 Ford!
ok guys i put a nv3500 in my little green truck, and on the way home from panama city beach , it made a funny noise and is freaking me out!,, it sounds like a garbage can half full of gravel rolling down hill! , it shifts fine and pulls in all gears, but under a strain it sound like a little man inside with a small hammer periodicaly tapping out a tune! i think its rebuildable! any info will be great!!! pics videos personal hands on! i really like my gas mileage! 21-25 miles to a gallon!

when does it make the noise, under load, while coasting, in every gear?? does that tranny have an overdrive, if so does it make noise in OD? if it makes noise all the time while driving and in every gear you most likely have a main shaft bearing on its way out or already out.... it usually can be rebuilt as long as you dont drive it making that noise!! and if it is just a bearing, that is an easy fix, you will need to tear down the tranny but just replace the faulty bearing..

when does it make the noise, under load, while coasting, in every gear?? does that tranny have an overdrive, if so does it make noise in OD? if it makes noise all the time while driving and in every gear you most likely have a main shaft bearing on its way out or already out.... it usually can be rebuilt as long as you dont drive it making that noise!! and if it is just a bearing, that is an easy fix, you will need to tear down the tranny but just replace the faulty bearing..

when? constant, underload, let off it gets quiet, yes it is a overdrive and when i put it in nuetral, it roars push the clutch in it goes away, well i drove it 300 miles with that noise, and it shifted fine, and pulled fine, but it sounded like it was pickin up stuff and throwing it against the casing!

Have you drained it of fluid to see what comes out?

Hmmm, it roars in neutral........ Could be a bearing.

that really sounds like a bearing......or two... if it makes noise in direct drive (4th) if it ran quiet in 4th that would tell me there could be a problem with either the counter shaft gears or bearings, noisy in all gears tells me its most likely a main shaft bearing or input shaft bearing. hopefully running it noisy didint bugger up any of the gears or synchro's to replace the bearings in the unit shouldnt be too costly for parts. and a tranny like that is not overly complex to tear down and slam back together :D[P

Latest posts

Back