will any ford 9" gearing fit?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brchopper

I havent even tried looking this up anywhere but anyone know if any ford 9" rear end gearing will fit in any 9"? I have a '62 9" and found another rear end with the gearing I want to try but I dont know what model or year the rear end is out of. Are all ford 9 " center cluster the same? thanks

No the difference is some are 28 spline and others are 31 spline. Pull the axle and see witch spline it is and look for one will the same spline. Other then that they will bolt right in.

The two rears you have pull the axles and if the spline end is the same diameter. if so it will work. The 31 spline is large in diameter.

I also understand there is a weird 9.25 or something like that rear out there that looks like a 9 but was used in some vehicle or truck. I think I had a 75 Ford Galaxy that I remember having some goofy rear end in it. But if you look on the smooth surface of the ring gear there are generally some numbers there and one of them will probably be a 9.

Don

The 9 1/2 uses the same housing as the 9 inch. The 9 1/2 housing has two notches on the mounting surface for the larger ring gear. A 9 inch with fit in a 9 1/2 housing but you would have to notch the 9 inch housing for the 9 1/2

The first picture is a 9 inch housing and the second is a 9 1/2

Attachments

• 9 inch housing 1.jpg
    9 inch housing 1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 36
  • 9.50 rear housing.jpg
    9.50 rear housing.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back