36? Chevy PU

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sakustoms

Finally got her home. A buddy and I left at 7pm Friday night with my 70 Caddy Coupe Deville on a trailer to drop it off and pick up my new truck. We traveled from PA to Rhode Island to the shop of a friend. We met him there at about 12:45am saturday and then we unloaded the caddy and loaded up the pickup and all the parts.

We hung out till about 1:45am and then got back on the road. After some stops on the way home we finally pulled into the shop at 6:25am and unloaded the truck and I headed home to bed.. lol..

She needs a ton of work but I am so stoked to finally have my own rod. Hope you guys like the pics and offer any advice you may see needed since I am new to this part of the hobby.

DSCN2499.sized.jpg

DSCN2500.sized.jpg

DSCN2506.sized.jpg

DSCN2501.sized.jpg

A few more pics...

DSCN2508.sized.jpg

GM rear I was told was out of like an old Impala.

DSCN2504.sized.jpg

Gonna be replacing a lot of the back cab wall. Notice the hole. The inside has more.

DSCN2502.sized.jpg

DSCN2505.sized.jpg

Just a few more. Hope you all don't mind.

Bunch of parts I probably won't be using. Got front fenders, running boards and a hood with 2 sets of side panels.

DSCN2509.sized.jpg

DSCN2510.sized.jpg

Look at that phone number. Guess this paint has been on quite a while.

DSCN2511.sized.jpg

Headlights with turnsignals??? Anybody know what these are off or if they are original?

DSCN2512.sized.jpg

Ok, last pics I promise. Just a few more parts.

Anyone can tell me what this is? I think it's part of the cowl..

DSCN2513.sized.jpg

Original dash I'm told. Was welded shut but I'll restore function.

DSCN2514.sized.jpg

Just a pic of the hood and one set of side panels. I think that's the trans crossmember also.

DSCN2515.sized.jpg

That's all folks. Thanks for taking the time to look. any info or comments are appreciated.

Eric

Kool!

SAC,
Glad u got 'er home & nice score. Gotta love those doors!!! That oughta make a great truck & I really look forward to this beast comin' together... keep us up to date & take *lots* lof pictures... u'll b glad u did later!!! Rockin'!!!

BoB

SAC,
Glad u got 'er home & nice score. Gotta love those doors!!! That oughta make a great truck & I really look forward to this beast comin' together... keep us up to date & take *lots* lof pictures... u'll b glad u did later!!! Rockin'!!!

BoB

Thanks tripper. Those doors are creating a problem for me. I want to fix the whole body and then put it in primer but I really don't want to do anything to the doors. I have no idea what I'm gonna do right now.

Don't worry, I will take lots of pics. I have an addiction to taking pics of everything.. :D

I like the doors, dash, and headlights the most, but the whole truck is going to be great. I don't know that I have seen chrome on those old doors, pretty cool. I think you could keep the color in the rest of the build.

I think that pc.is the interior trim that goes inside the truck to cover the back window , should fit between the seat and goes up to were the roof starts to curve. the little holes are for the headliner push in pins, don`t paint those doors they`re cool , good score ....`24

Cool project

That looks like a great project - I love the old lettering on the doors. How 'bout painting the rest of the truck with tinted primer to match the doors?

440shorty

I like the doors, dash, and headlights the most, but the whole truck is going to be great. I don't know that I have seen chrome on those old doors, pretty cool. I think you could keep the color in the rest of the build.

Thanks bonehead. I need to replace a bunch of metal on the cab so there will be a bunch of primer. Any way to make this match what's on there? I didn't even take notice to the chrome on the doors.. lol.. Too tired still I guess. :eek:

I think that pc.is the interior trim that goes inside the truck to cover the back window , should fit between the seat and goes up to were the roof starts to curve. the little holes are for the headliner push in pins, don`t paint those doors they`re cool , good score ....`24

Ok, I see what you mean on that piece. I see the window shape. I have soooo much to learn..

I will def. try to keep those doors and make the rest of the color fit them.

That looks like a great project - I love the old lettering on the doors. How 'bout painting the rest of the truck with tinted primer to match the doors?

440shorty

Thanks. I guess I could try to tint to match. That's a great idea. I'll see when and if I ever get that far.. :D

Yes, you can color match. I would do the body work first and see what you have first, without primer, if you can get the base coat of rust it will match the doors better, you can see the rust on the doors where they have been scratched. You may end up with a grey primer if you have too. But I think you can match the color and texture of the doors in the end. When you do paint it, (and don't tell anyone else about this) use acrylic paint, mix it to match, put it on with a brush, or roller, over un-prepped rust. When dry give it a light sanding, wash with water, and you should be good to go.

Yes, you can color match. I would do the body work first and see what you have first, without primer, if you can get the base coat of rust it will match the doors better, you can see the rust on the doors where they have been scratched. You may end up with a grey primer if you have too. But I think you can match the color and texture of the doors in the end. When you do paint it, (and don't tell anyone else about this) use acrylic paint, mix it to match, put it on with a brush, or roller, over un-prepped rust. When dry give it a light sanding, wash with water, and you should be good to go.

thanks bonehead,

All good information and ideas. Damn, I have so much to learn about rats. I feel like such a virgin. :eek::D

Good thing I've got you guys to direct me down the path of enlightenment. thanks again.

Eric

Latest posts

Back