best way to remove rust from gas tank

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59ponchorat

i tried the vinegar route but think i used the wrong one..i used the clear and left it for 18 hours..whaqts the best and fasted way?i dont wanna spend a fortune having it done...

I had recently picked up a POR15 kit, I thought it worked out really well. Overall somewhat time consuming, and have to pull the tank from the vehicle. But the results were well worth it, I was suprised at how well the tank cleaned up before the sealer went in. I think all and all I was into if for about $90 and about 4 hours of my time.

I own a radiator shop and we clean gas tanks all the time. Caustic soda, maybe two cups depending on the size of the tank. fill with water, let sit for 4 days. should be clean steel after that. repeat if it isn't. ZEP is the brand of soda i use

Caustic Soda

BTW, don't use any sealers in the tank when you're done. it makes it very difficult to work on after that. i.e. fix or patch up leaks

check Eastwood out, they sell kits for cleaning and sealing tanks. I used on a motorcycle tank and works good. Muratic acid is one of the steps used with that kit, and really if you just wanna clean the rust out that does a good job. Just make sure you rinse it out with water and then mineral spirits or the acid will do more harm than good.

I've used the POR kit as well.........with really good results. Might be a little on the pricey side, but the tank has been back in the car for two years now, and the leaks that appeared after cleaning still haven't!!!

Latest posts

Back