been busy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice work

Looks very good , well thought out ,I like a man with a plan. Never saw front springs U bolts on a angle and perch thingie is usually on top of spring , was that just personal preferance ? I like the way it looks with the spring hangers on the bat wings. What type of shock do you olan on running. Give us some more info and pics are always welcome.LFE

Last edited:
Looks very good , well thought out ,I like a man with a plan. Never saw front springs U bolts on a angle and perch thingie is usually on top of spring , was that just personal preferance ? I like the way it looks with the spring hangers on the bat wings. What type of shock do you olan on running. Give us some more info and pics are always welcome.LFE
suicide perch being flipped and angled u bbolts were done by someone else, bought the basic t frame at a swap meet....................basic shocks are in the pics next to the wall, front and rear suspension is all speedway bought

Well seems to be some concern over the front u bolt setup being safe with the perch being flipped like it is and the ubolts being the only thing supporting the front end..................I did not build the front portion of the frame with the flipped suicide perch and it never occurred to me it maybe unsafe but the last thing I want is to be unsafe out there so would like opinions on if you all think this looks like an unsafe setup and if so what would be the easiest way to build some more safety into it without flipping the perch. I'm sure the dude that built it was going for something different and thats the reason for it but is it really unsafe?

Oh and more info on this car are that I have a 383 MOPAR big block for it with auto and will be MILDLY built and the donor car was a 66 polara so I wanna incorporate the dash/steering column out of that car as it will have its engine/trans/rear already..........................this is my first ROD build but have been building stout musclecars for most of my life and just sold a 440 68 dart I completely built from the ground up to a guy in england. Thanks Ron

Safe?

Your life is hanging by two bolts if they break you will too:eek:
you can put your spring in a press and reverse the eyes that will bring the ride hight down so you can put the spring under the perch
In the end you will be alot safer
You mite not need to reveres the eyes with that much motor so Waite till you get it together to decide

Last edited:
Alot of axles are put on that way, the difference is there is another set of u-bolts on the axle just like them. One way to make it a little better, I think would be to use a plate with 4 bolts (grade 8) on top. This way at least you have to break 4 instead of two, before it gets away from you.

Alot of axles are put on that way, the difference is there is another set of u-bolts on the axle just like them. One way to make it a little better, I think would be to use a plate with 4 bolts (grade 8) on top. This way at least you have to break 4 instead of two, before it gets away from you.

thought about the plate deal....................what exactly do you mean another set of u bolts?

Your life is hanging by two bolts if they break you will too:eek:
you can put your spring in a press and reverse the eyes that will bring the ride hight down so you can put the spring under the perch
In the end you will be alot safer
You mite not need to reveres the eyes with that much motor so Waite till you get it together to decide

i've already had it together with the engine......does not drop it much

OK, What my problem is in understanding the issue that worries everyone being the ubolts when the spring hangers are just two little studs through the batwings but thats safe?! That scares me more than those u bolts do but thats how they came from speedway.

I guess you read my PM and thats why you asked the question.I cant speak for the batwing bolt issue. I like the way that looks but I used the stock tried and true spring perches on mine. Fixing the perch is an easy thing to do. . Just cut it off flip it over and weld it back on.That way the perch will be supporting the weight not the u bolts. Unless you are an engineering genius or very lucky you will be doing lots of stuff 2 or even 3 times to get it right.The pics show my set up and the frame horns I put on for looks and for safety. If my suicide front end comes loose the horns, which are really an extension of the frame will fall on the springs and keep my frame from digging in the ground. Total cost to do this 5 dollars for the metal and about 4 hours of time,mighty cheap peace of mind and insurance . Notice i did what Bonehead suggested I used 4 7/16 grade 8 bolts and a 3/8 plate on the bottom.

oops forgot the pics #1 shows b4 horns and with old shock mounts,#2 with horns but still with old bolts #3shows larger bolts and new bottom plate. Dont be afraid if you flip the perch you wont be able to get the same spring to frame location. Notice in pic #2 we had to put a spacer between the frame xmember and the perch to get it where we wanted it.Thats one of the advantages of the suicide set up you can easily take your frame up or down.Hope this helps, When i was building my frame I invited a lot of guys over to pick at it to be sure I did it the safest way. I have seen lots of kool looking rats that I wouldnt drive accross the parking lot in.LFE

Attachments

• DSCN2680.jpg
    DSCN2680.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN2732.jpg
    DSCN2732.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN2735.jpg
    DSCN2735.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Well, here is mine as well, I got mine low by raising the mount, much like the way yours is on the opposite side of the mount.
It is an easy welding fix like LFE says.

As far as my earlier post I was talking about a standard rear axle or front 4X4 u- bolt system with the axle above the spring.

Attachments

• ratter1.jpg
    ratter1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 62
Safe?

The Ubolts are bent and that puts stress on them that the hangers don't get
I have seen A lot of cars with the same set up as yours and I have never seen one break but if it does something bad will happen
So why take the chance?
I like the way it looks and hope you show us more as you build it
The workmanship is better than mine but mine is suppose to look like it was built back in the 50's :cool:

Latest posts

Back