Tubing Benders???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have two benders in our shop. They both came from JD2. For the price it is not worth trying to build one.

Attachments

• 100_0059.jpg
    100_0059.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 70
We have two benders in our shop. They both came from JD2. For the price it is not worth trying to build one.

I have thought about the jd2, but how hard is it to bend something with that? What are the limitations? Have you put it through its paces?

I was mainly going the route I am because I wanted one that is hydraulic and affordable.

That's not a bender, this is a bender:
http://tubularfab.com/gal2/main.php?g2_itemId=1440&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Just kidding - that is one massive tube bender you built. Looks like it could convert into an engine hoist with some hitch pin changes!

The one linked above is what I use most of the time. In that pic i'm bending 4" OD x 1/8" wall on a 6" centerline for a retro truck project I worked on a few years back.

I remember seeing you put pictures of this up earlier, looks great!! How well does it work? Where did you get your dies and cylinder?

It works fine. The dies came from speedway, and the air over hydro, cylinder came from china, (HF). I blew up the first ram, but they replaced it.

i have a pro-tools 105 manual bender.most of my projects i use it for are 1" and smaller chromoly tubing,and it works great.i have bent .120 wall 1 3/4 making pre runner bumpers and cages ect.and built a wake board tower for my buddies boat out of .120 1 3/4 aluminum.its a bit of a work out bending the big stuff,id convert it to hyd. if i did alot of it.heres some of the atv chassis ive done with it.

Attachments

• Jakes Mini 003.jpg
    Jakes Mini 003.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Photo0023.jpg
    Photo0023.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 24
  • kbr at gilbert.jpg
    kbr at gilbert.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_4019.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 25
I have thought about the jd2, but how hard is it to bend something with that? What are the limitations? Have you put it through its paces?

I was mainly going the route I am because I wanted one that is hydraulic and affordable.

With the JD2 model 32 we bend 1/4" wall 2" DOM, using hydraulics.

Bonehead - what's that machine in the background of the last pic? Looks like it's foot foot pedal operated, maybe for forming sheetmetal?

It is a treadle hammer. Like a power hammer, that is worked with your foot.
It still wears you down, but you get to work the metal with both hands, while you pedal.

I remember seeing you put pictures of this up earlier, looks great!! How well does it work? Where did you get your dies and cylinder?

That one sort of reminds me of my engine hoist, gives me an idea where I can get a decent hydraulic ram from. ;)

bender1.jpg

This one looks very simple, but gives me an idea....

d1c0d082.jpg

HI
you should look at http://www.gottrikes.com/Tube_Bender.htm
this is a very handy bender I built one and love it. It was the third type I built and the one I kept. One thing to look at is if you can bend past 90 degrees most of the ones shown here have a problem doing that!
also shown is one of the first bender I built and why I sold it.

have fun
Tom

Attachments

• heavy bender 3 (2)A.jpg
    heavy bender 3 (2)A.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 38
  • bender (8).jpg
    bender (8).jpg
    147 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back