gas not getting to carb??help!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59ponchorat

ive got a 64 cadillac and cant seems to get the gas from tank to the carb...its got new fuel pump that was on there when i bought it...i replaced the gas and vent line from front to back..i did replace them with rubber gas hoses cause i didnt want to wait for the new hard line to come in...i will replace them with hard lines if i ever get it running...took tank out and cleaned it,,man this thing was a mess..it was atleast 2 inches thick with crude..finally i replaced the sending unit...it will run from a can coming off the fuel pump but not coming from the tank..it does have gas in the fuel filter that i installed near the gas tank...i need some help..im about ready to give up..dont want to,but ive tried everything...thanks

The new pump is it a manual? did you get the push rod from the cam held up as you put on the pump?

Suck on the hose going to the tank and see if you get a mouth full of gas. :rolleyes: Well, put suction to it somehow and see if the line is collapsing somewhere or if the pickup is clogged. Just because a little gas got to your filter doesn't mean it's flowing freely.

Can you blow back through the line to the tank(line clear)? Can you suck on line and feel a draw, may have a hole in line and sucking air like a hole in a soda straw.

Was the rubber line new or sitting on a shelf where mud dobbers could fill it with dirt?
Like Sneaky said, blow back thru the line to clear it, use an air hose if you don't think the sock will blow off.
Was the pickup the original or new cause, they can get pin holes in them and won't draw a drop.

Jim

the sending unit is new from opgi and the hoes are new from auto zone...if the tank was that messed up inside then the hard lines have to be trashed..i may hook those back up just to see if the rubber lines may be collapsing..maybe i can remove the hard line and run some muriatic acid thru them..im sure they have lots of rust in them..not sure what else to do...

Last edited:
they are much easier to use than

those darned individual steel lines autozone sells that are sort of dark green color.... won't bend for crap especially in a tight bend..... the steel line in the roll is much more flexible....

Usually they have some in stock in rolls..

the autozone near me does, but I've had to order some before in certain sizes that they don't carry....it's overall cheaper too..

those darned individual steel lines autozone sells that are sort of dark green color.... won't bend for crap especially in a tight bend..... the steel line in the roll is much more flexible....

I used the green line and used a bender like this with good results.

15194_lg.jpg

The clue is in the first post (...it does have gas in the fuel filter that i installed near the gas tank...) What happens is that once the filter is wet it causes enough resistance that the rubber hose will suck shut. Fuel should always be pushed through a filter, mount the filter between the fuel pump and carb.

Snake.....

I used the green line and used a bender like this with good results.

15194_lg.jpg

I have the same tool and have had OK results with it..... found that if you bend it slowly, it comes out fine....just seems a bit more brittle than the regular steel line..... I've heard if you warm it with a heat gun slightly it also will bend fine.... I guess the key is not to try to bend it too quickly..... but thanks for the input....might help someone else out there having issues....[cl

Fuel flow issue

This may help. You could make a temporary hard line using copper tubing lay it out next to the car. If it works then the problem is with the hose and if it doesn't work it will be a sending unit pickup issue. It just a thought. Steve

Latest posts

Back