Chevy VIN plate.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8literbeater

Well I know what it is basically. But I can't tell what it's supposed to look like.
From what I can find it's a 3/4 ton from '42, '44 or '45. Made in KC, MO.

If anybody can tell more that would be awesome. VIN#5BL092001

Anyway, what I'm really looking for, is what this plate was supposed to look like before sitting in the weather for 65 years. Does anyone have a picture of a clean one, or know where I can get a blank repro? I can only see CHEVROLET and a couple of other words on it. The stamped numbers still show fairly well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 51
The plate should look like this.

dataplate1.jpg

Here's a source for a replacement.

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/10755/Chevrolet_DATA_PLATE_METAL_RIGHT_SIDE_OF_COWL_12_TON.html

As you can see, the number you have only identifies the chassis. The info you already have is all that number can tell you.

There should be another data plate on the truck which would give you the model, date of manufacture, etc. I'm not sure where that one should be. Maybe on the cowl, the firewall or in the glove box. Without the second plate, it's a guessing game.

Got any more pics?

Thank you, I appreciate the info. I wonder where I can find the year, or maybe I'll just decide on a year for the MVD people. I don't have anything except the cab. But I'll have a build thread going soon with pictures.

Thanks sneakysnake.

Thanks for the info. I believe you and the website you have there. This other one that I found http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/VIN.htm is rather confusing, and shows different info. The guy at the salvage yard that I bought it from said he thought it was a '46. I like '42 better. :)

Now I wonder, this must mean that it was made in September of 1941, and it's a 1942 model, right?

With respect to sneakysnake, I don't think your # defines the year.

When I searched your VIN I found they used the BL code in '42 '44 and '45. Some sites list the '44 and '45, some don't.

http://www.haist-usa.com/artdecotrucks/ (click on models)

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/series.htm

This was on the first link,

1942 Models:

Built between October, 1941 and January, 1942 and January, 1944, until August 31, 1945. During WW II, production was controlled by the War Production Board. These trucks were only for sale to essential industries on the home front. Note the model designation remained the same as the 1942s,((( however, the month of production code on the VIN began with 25 for Jan, 26 for Feb. etc for 1944. 1945 truck month codes began with 37 for Jan, 38 for Feb.))) etc. All of these trucks featured painted trim.

Hey thanks guys. With reference to a few websites I think we've got it!
sneakysnake I noticed the same thing you did there on that "haist" site. It doesn't make sense that they say they made 44s and 45s when they were really 42 models made in 44 and 45. Or maybe that does make sense.
Either way, what in the world am I supposed to tell the gatekeepers at MVD? [S
I still can't figure out when it was made.
Wait, I figured it out. It had to have been an essential use build, made in September of '42. This makes sense since this was a 3/4 ton cab and chassis with a stakebed.
My apologies for the rambling post. Evidently all of the cox internet system is down, even their own phone system. So I'm doing this on my iPhone and I don't want to proofread.
Anyway, they made the '42 for 44 months and numbered them 1-44? ending in August 1945.
Well this makes me feel bad for scrapping a veteran. Darn.

This was on the first link,

1942 Models:

Built between October, 1941 and January, 1942 and January, 1944, until August 31, 1945. During WW II, production was controlled by the War Production Board. These trucks were only for sale to essential industries on the home front. Note the model designation remained the same as the 1942s,((( however, the month of production code on the VIN began with 25 for Jan, 26 for Feb. etc for 1944. 1945 truck month codes began with 37 for Jan, 38 for Feb.))) etc. All of these trucks featured painted trim.

I embarrassed to admit I didn't read that! :eek:

Obviously, they didn't make a new model until the war was over. The month code thing is strange to say the least, but I think it removes all doubt.

Give MVD the # and call it a '42, which it is. If by some miracle, MVD recognizes it was built in '41 and wants to title it that way, take it and run. At least you have a title. You know it's a '42, that's all that matters.

Latest posts

Back