perhaps a dodge bro's...?? im too young!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin#2

Banned
so since i started this project with a cab that was a flower planter/kids play house (careful of sharp rusty edges children) i have not been able to positively identify it further than perhaps it being a mid 20's dodge brothers... i see a couple guys here with 20's dodge bros..... but mine differs in the bouble body line (mine has one below the door handle in addition to the one that lines up with the center door hinge) also ive seen a few with cowl mounted signal lights which mine has no holes for. and look at the curved brass accent that was cast quite thick (almost 1/2") at each side of the top of the A pillars...... a fancy option?? it was leaded in and looks factory.....

rat20rod20progress20034.jpg

DSCN1984.jpg

0281.jpg

ratrodprogress068.jpg

i also know it used to be a 4dr.... someone waaay back decided that i would want to build a truck so they cut off the rear two doors and gas welded the back of the cab to the B pillars.... they just wernt aware that im over 6' tall so i had to add 8" behind the doors and a roll bar (for safety) to give me a bit of leg room.

with regards to the cast brass accents atop the a pillars, could this have been a more delux model or perhaps a hearse or an ambulance or something along those lines??

HMMMmmmm....:confused: [S:D:D

ooh ooh.... one more thing.... does anyone know where to get or a easy way to make those body lines (i need to extend them through where i extended the cab and to the passenger door (i had to build 90% of it due to rust) the upper body line is stamped into the panel but the lower, smaller one is added on, it curves around and inward so it can be attached with carriage head type fasteners inside the trim.....

thanks RRR's
JD

nope, not a '27 chrysler.... but very close... note the upper body line does not line up with the center hinge and the cowl is even with the door panel, on mine the cowl is narrower than the doors.......

1927chrysler_I-50.jpg

Are you sure that cowl and windshield is original to the doors and body. It may have been something like a funeral flower truck?

as far as i can tell its as it was.... but how do you tell?? the patina looks the same everywhere, and the parts all fit and line up with a factory appearance with regards to the cowl and windshield vs. doors.....
the only obvious modification before i got to it was the deletion of the rear doors (crude welding and the rear door latch on rear of b pillar)

as for titling...... we will see[S:( in alberta if the VIN was not registered within 50yrs the vehicle needs either out of province or collision inspection, which are both major inspections, same goes for "amalgamated" or "homebuilt" all i can say is we will see once i get there :D

I think you have a Dodgesler, or possibly a Chryslodge. :D

Combine these two pics.

'27 Dodge. (Notice the firewall).

27dodge.jpg

'27 Chrysler Imperial. Crappy image, but has the hinge in the right place, and the shaped pillar.

27chrysler20VIII.jpg

You mentioned you're in Alberta. Just a theory, but it's possible you have a model only produced in Canada. Canadian manufacturers were known to mix and match parts based on availability. With that in mind, the body plants may have modified Dodge cowls for Chryslers. [S

You also mentioned a VIN. Do you have any numbers?

excellent theory Dr. you may be correct.... did the dodge and chrysler have the same dash?? and i gotta check out that 27 chrysler closer... looks like it may have the same curved cast part at the top of the A pillar......[S

Chrysler bought Dodge Brothers in 1928, but I think that is what he's got - a mutt.

Last edited:
Body revel question.

Hey Burnin#2 I may have a solution to making the your body revel that I have used in the past. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures. I will try to draw a mental picture. I used 3/4 inch MDF and made a forming buck. I cut 1/2 the shape on the edge of a 6 inch wide piece being sure to radius the edges correctly to match the sheetmetal bend radii. The shape must be larger to accommodate the metal thickness. This can take some playing around because it is not always the exact metal thickness difference. The piece was twice as long as is required. I then cut it in half and glued the two pieces with the shape facing each other onto another piece of 12 inch wide MDF. Now I had a buck that looked like a trough with a back. Next I cut four pieces of MDF 5 X 6 inches and glued two each together for strength. These will be screwed or bolted to the flat area of the forming buck. These pieces are used to pinch the sheet metal down to the buck. With some care and careful choice of hammers, wood shapes or whatever it takes, the revel shape should come out very close if not exact. The good thing is, it is just wood and cheap so if it doesn't work the first time you can try again. It worked for me it and took some practice. You might want to start on something simple to get the "feel" for it. The hardest part for me was making the shape in the wood. I used a variety of tools and kept at it and finally I got what I needed. Just a suggestion. Good luck. Steve

Burnin' was foul and abusive in another thread. He soon found himself staring down the barrel of the S/V, the rest is history.

Latest posts

Back