air cleaner fit my carb?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance Wine

:confused::DOk, Ready!! prepare for a dumb question.. Anyhoo.

I am going to get one of the skilled artist on this site to paint an Air Cleaner for me for the Rod.. PIC attached of the Carb.. Where can I find one of the larger size aircleaners to fit this? will the standard air cleaner fit it? Thanks for puttin up with me!!. vw

Im guessing I just look for aircleaners for 1 barrel carb?

Attachments

• 121212.jpg
    121212.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Not sure if you will find a bigger air cleaner for that :( But yeah I would just look for 1 barrel carb air cleaners and see what comes up - You could always find a bigger air cleaner for a 2 or 4 bbl and use the bottom off the 1 bbl cleaner you have and just cut and weld the 1 bbl base onto the base of the bigger one

Last edited:
Yeah I was lookin and didn't find anything but like I said take the base from yours and cut and trim it and then do the same to the bottom of a 2 or 4 bbl air cleaner and then weld the bottom from yours into that one

go find the filter housing you want and attach the bottom of the one you have to it. If welding is not an option, pop rivet it and seal it up with gas proof rtv.
Show us what you do. It should not take that long and you can post pictures before you complete it.

I was at the local speed shop and they had two top caps and 2 new filter setting in a box from a swap they did. Gave $8.00 cut a hole in on to fit the carb and done. was real easy.

Attachments

• IM002229.jpg
    IM002229.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IM002230.jpg
    IM002230.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 12
Air cleaner?

Hey Vance
Those carbs are common here. They were used on a lot of 1940-1954 GM cars and trucks with 216 and 235 engines. As the guys mentioned you could make up an air cleaner by combining (welding) the old oil bath type cleaner to a paper cleaner bottom or use as is. Go to the Craiglist site of some cities on the east coast of the US (shipping cost) or the dreaded E-Bay and see if an oil bath air cleaner is available. Maybe you have a friend over here who could help. I believe the 1955 and later 235 GM engines used a different carb. It will be essential to know the throat diameter (in inches preferably) in order to get the correct oil bath cleaner. Should not cost more than $20.00 US. I don't know about tax but it might be worth a try. Good luck Steve

Larger air cleaner base

You could use the base you have on there and place the base of a larger air cleaner on top of the current base, weld it up there ya go, large air cleaner on single carb. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back